Re: the hypnotist and the hypnotized

  • Trinidad Cruz
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
      Very good Mary. This material gave me the same sort of headache that
      Knott always does. I can't remember at the moment, but I remember
      someone equating hypnotism with caring, i/e in order to be hypnotized
      you have to care about other human beings, or it is the caring
      mechanism that hypnotism probes. Galoff maybe? It escapes me for the
      moment. Perhaps Knott is experimenting with mass hypnotism via this
      list, posing like an internet Criss Angel. (remember the greek
      speaking inuendo) I hope so. I really do want to despise this guy. At
      times I find these strange journeys of his into intellectual
      lahlahland to feel like physical assault. If it is a skill, it carries
      with it a responsibility and consequences, in fact about the same as
      owning a gun, or at least the level of operating a motor vehicle.

      Caring is like everything else; you have to defend your right to do
      so. Knott's discourse often gives me a headache, so it is essentially
      what I take it for - physical assault. Didn't do the Timberwolves any
      good. D-Wade seemed not to need it. I dunno, maybe he was client too.
      Oh, I also remember an argument somewhere, (Pinker or one of the
      consiousness gurus?) that being able to hypnotize someone required a
      detachment not unlike the psychopath, and the hypnotist himself is
      likely to have a serious psychosomatic disorder. See what you can
      find. I think this is on the right track.

      tc

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night" <two_owl_night@...>

      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
        <two_owl_night@...> wrote:

        > http://www.nthposition.com/thepuppetpushers.php
        >
        > Mary
        >Mary, As you probably know many dentists use modified hypnotic
        techniques as treatment aids. I was trained by the Ethical
        Hypnosis Treatment Center headed by the former stage hypnotist
        Harry Aarens. The old man really had his act togeather and presented
        a comprehensive program that stressed the power inherant in trans
        states and the responsibility the operator has to his charges while
        they are in trans states.
        Harry had done all the magic shows and had formed his organisation
        to try to lift trans power to an ethical plain. He still retained
        the mesmer stage flair. He held that you could not be hypnotised
        against your will but there was a catch. You might not know you
        were being operated.
        In the fine article you presented the author states that your
        acceptance of participation is little more than your purchase of
        admission. From there on a boxers admonition is in effect, "Protect
        yourself at all times".My associate and I were young and highly
        impressed by all the science we had mastered. We messed Harry up but
        in a gentle way that perhaps he and a few of his associates
        suspected. He personally told us he did not mind because to him our
        revolt proved we understood what we had learned.
        It seems many who find hypnosis by accicent eventually come back
        from the stage to use mesmerism for good projects. A friend who is
        a master hypnotist turned his talent to smoking cessation . He
        admits he used his self taught talents to gain sexual favors before
        he found out that was verboten. There is a big gray area there when
        the situation is viewed from the perspective of the statement,"You
        cannot rape the willing".
        The best use of the various methods seems to be in the area of mild,
        pleasant suggestion. Most phycholigists have the tool in their bag
        and often use formal inductions. I use relaxation techniques along
        with N2O and get fine results without having to resort to IV drugs.
        It is a level of light dream sleep that is sufficient for minor
        surgery when used adjunctive with local anesthetic. I guard to omit
        any post hypnotic suggestion and find most revive themselves when
        the gas is removed.
        I view the phenominon as a quiet corner of the human brain that can
        have beneficial effects in limited situations. The depth of trans
        application can be tested if you try to apply the technique without
        local anesthetic. It fails repeatedly especially if the procedure
        involves hard tissue cutting.
        Mass mesmeric hallicunation is another matter. Harry really feared
        it and yet he used it in his presentation. I watched him change to
        the strutting egotist mentioned in your article. That is when he
        caught me and my friend, sober as judges. He immedately walked off
        stage and became Harry the teacher again. It was like watching
        Hitler morph into a Mary Poppins.
        Authenticity:You think what you are. Bill
      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
          "Authenticity: You think what you are."

          Or is it 'You never are what you think you are'?

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006

            > "Authenticity: You think what you are."
            >
            > Or is it 'You never are what you think you are'?

            ... said the sleepy god to his reflection ...
          • Knott
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
              > This material gave me the same sort of headache that
              > Knott always does...Knott's discourse often gives me
              > a headache, so it is essentially what I take it for
              > - physical assault.

              Dear Trinidad,

              First, your twisting of the experience in order to give you an
              excuse for violent reaction is charming but is not the result of an
              external force or your heritage, it is the result of what you choose
              to experience. If you were a little more in control of your violent
              nature...you wouldn't look to exercise it so often as an easy,
              unthinking response like it will actually solve something. Like
              revolution, you are caught up in the romance of an idea, rather than
              the reality of the aftermath and consequences to action.

              Second, if you were 'forever free' as you suggest you are, you would
              not be slave to any 'headaches' brought upon by other people's ideas
              because you would be confident in your own.

              Third, it seems you are used to people rolling over when you present
              ideas because of how you present them: in unintelligablly complex
              circumlocution, amidst threats, and with authority of insistence.
              Two solutions would be: better refine your ideas when offered the
              challenge of doing so, and think them through more completely in the
              first place.

              Dr. Joyce Knott
            • Trinidad Cruz
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
                "It was like watching Hitler morph into a Mary Poppins."

                Exactly right. Latent psychopathy.

                tc