Re: [existlist] properly

  • Albert
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Mary,

      All this time I've been assuming that there has been some sort of technical problem with the group...
      Whatever has been emphasized or not, it seems to me to be quite tragic that the response has been so apathetic. As has been commented, psychology and existentialism cannot be separated and I for one find it difficult to believe that these "connections" need to be demonstrated to the extent which you imply, though your statement seems based on clear observation.

      To what extent do you think that the relationship between psychology and existentialism needs to be debated ? I seem to remember Louise separating the two some time ago and found this difficult to digest.

      Albert.

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Albert" <al_d@...> wrote:

        To what extent do you think that the relationship between psychology and
        existentialism needs to be debated ? I seem to remember Louise
        separating the two some time ago and found this difficult to digest.

        This subject is simmering on my back burner. I suspect that Louise is
        preparing in her own way as well. Perhaps over this extended weekend,
        it will appear in full banquet glory for all to savor and spice
        accordingly, and in good cheer. Anon . . .

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night"
          <two_owl_night@...> wrote:

          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Albert" <al_d@> wrote:
          >
          > To what extent do you think that the relationship between
          psychology and
          > existentialism needs to be debated ? I seem to remember Louise
          > separating the two some time ago and found this difficult to
          digest.

          > This subject is simmering on my back burner. I suspect that Louise
          is
          > preparing in her own way as well. Perhaps over this extended
          weekend,
          > it will appear in full banquet glory for all to savor and spice
          > accordingly, and in good cheer. Anon . . .
          >
          > Mary

          Hmm, well, more like recuperation than preparation, though have been
          reading various authors of late, familiar and forgotten, in quest of
          inspiration and remembrance. I am definitely at first base with all
          this stuff, though. Have been waiting a long time for discussion to
          start. Fine, if we may invoke philosophy, psychology, psychiatry,
          law, and so on. How may intelligent debate flourish, however, if
          words such as 'nut', 'witch' or 'loonie' are tossed into the mix?
          My marathon endurance stint in this regard may at long last be
          yielding a little more power of resistance and restraint. Instead
          of firing off yet another irate e-mail, when knocked backward by
          sheer indifferent ignorance from the self-confidently sane and well-
          adjusted, I learn to mutter darkly at the screen, waiting for
          lucidity from other sources.

          Louise
          ... still refining Nooism

        • two_owl_night
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 1, 2006

            however, if words such as 'nut', 'witch' or 'loonie' are tossed into
            the mix? My marathon endurance stint in this regard may at long last
            be yielding a little more power of resistance and restraint. Instead
            of firing off yet another irate e-mail, when knocked backward by
            sheer indifferent ignorance from the self-confidently sane and well-
            adjusted, I learn to mutter darkly at the screen, waiting for
            lucidity from other sources.

            Just a quick note, Louise. We sensitive types need to develop thick
            skins or risk sinking into a slough of despond or passive-aggressive
            cycles. I've often thought you could contribute greatly to Christian
            Existential discussion groups and poetry forums. Googling another
            subject the other day I found Lee Edgar Tyler where 'gypsy scholars'
            much like yourself share their expertise with translations of
            critical texts.

            http://ntgateway.com/xtalk/

            You are also welcome to join our Company of Poets, where I can almost
            assure you, no one will throw stones.

            http://www.mailspaces.com/spaces/companyofpoets/

            You have much to contribute here as well. Don't let the vacuous drive
            you away. I agree with Sartre's defense of existentialism wherein he
            argues that atheists aren't void of ethics or capable of formulating
            them in a dearth of certainties.

            Mary
          • Jeff Cunningham
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 2, 2006
              The answer you are search for ? There is a new
              global war being fought. This war uses all the tools
              you have listed. This new global war is for your mind.
              Do you feel like someone is trying to brain wash you?
              Maybe....

              http://mail.yahoo.com