the hypnotist and the hypnotized

  • two_owl_night
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 31, 2006
    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
        Very good Mary. This material gave me the same sort of headache that
        Knott always does. I can't remember at the moment, but I remember
        someone equating hypnotism with caring, i/e in order to be hypnotized
        you have to care about other human beings, or it is the caring
        mechanism that hypnotism probes. Galoff maybe? It escapes me for the
        moment. Perhaps Knott is experimenting with mass hypnotism via this
        list, posing like an internet Criss Angel. (remember the greek
        speaking inuendo) I hope so. I really do want to despise this guy. At
        times I find these strange journeys of his into intellectual
        lahlahland to feel like physical assault. If it is a skill, it carries
        with it a responsibility and consequences, in fact about the same as
        owning a gun, or at least the level of operating a motor vehicle.

        Caring is like everything else; you have to defend your right to do
        so. Knott's discourse often gives me a headache, so it is essentially
        what I take it for - physical assault. Didn't do the Timberwolves any
        good. D-Wade seemed not to need it. I dunno, maybe he was client too.
        Oh, I also remember an argument somewhere, (Pinker or one of the
        consiousness gurus?) that being able to hypnotize someone required a
        detachment not unlike the psychopath, and the hypnotist himself is
        likely to have a serious psychosomatic disorder. See what you can
        find. I think this is on the right track.

        tc

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night" <two_owl_night@...>

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
          <two_owl_night@...> wrote:

          > http://www.nthposition.com/thepuppetpushers.php
          >
          > Mary
          >Mary, As you probably know many dentists use modified hypnotic
          techniques as treatment aids. I was trained by the Ethical
          Hypnosis Treatment Center headed by the former stage hypnotist
          Harry Aarens. The old man really had his act togeather and presented
          a comprehensive program that stressed the power inherant in trans
          states and the responsibility the operator has to his charges while
          they are in trans states.
          Harry had done all the magic shows and had formed his organisation
          to try to lift trans power to an ethical plain. He still retained
          the mesmer stage flair. He held that you could not be hypnotised
          against your will but there was a catch. You might not know you
          were being operated.
          In the fine article you presented the author states that your
          acceptance of participation is little more than your purchase of
          admission. From there on a boxers admonition is in effect, "Protect
          yourself at all times".My associate and I were young and highly
          impressed by all the science we had mastered. We messed Harry up but
          in a gentle way that perhaps he and a few of his associates
          suspected. He personally told us he did not mind because to him our
          revolt proved we understood what we had learned.
          It seems many who find hypnosis by accicent eventually come back
          from the stage to use mesmerism for good projects. A friend who is
          a master hypnotist turned his talent to smoking cessation . He
          admits he used his self taught talents to gain sexual favors before
          he found out that was verboten. There is a big gray area there when
          the situation is viewed from the perspective of the statement,"You
          cannot rape the willing".
          The best use of the various methods seems to be in the area of mild,
          pleasant suggestion. Most phycholigists have the tool in their bag
          and often use formal inductions. I use relaxation techniques along
          with N2O and get fine results without having to resort to IV drugs.
          It is a level of light dream sleep that is sufficient for minor
          surgery when used adjunctive with local anesthetic. I guard to omit
          any post hypnotic suggestion and find most revive themselves when
          the gas is removed.
          I view the phenominon as a quiet corner of the human brain that can
          have beneficial effects in limited situations. The depth of trans
          application can be tested if you try to apply the technique without
          local anesthetic. It fails repeatedly especially if the procedure
          involves hard tissue cutting.
          Mass mesmeric hallicunation is another matter. Harry really feared
          it and yet he used it in his presentation. I watched him change to
          the strutting egotist mentioned in your article. That is when he
          caught me and my friend, sober as judges. He immedately walked off
          stage and became Harry the teacher again. It was like watching
          Hitler morph into a Mary Poppins.
          Authenticity:You think what you are. Bill
        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
            "Authenticity: You think what you are."

            Or is it 'You never are what you think you are'?

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006

              > "Authenticity: You think what you are."
              >
              > Or is it 'You never are what you think you are'?

              ... said the sleepy god to his reflection ...
            • Knott
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 1, 2006
                > This material gave me the same sort of headache that
                > Knott always does...Knott's discourse often gives me
                > a headache, so it is essentially what I take it for
                > - physical assault.

                Dear Trinidad,

                First, your twisting of the experience in order to give you an
                excuse for violent reaction is charming but is not the result of an
                external force or your heritage, it is the result of what you choose
                to experience. If you were a little more in control of your violent
                nature...you wouldn't look to exercise it so often as an easy,
                unthinking response like it will actually solve something. Like
                revolution, you are caught up in the romance of an idea, rather than
                the reality of the aftermath and consequences to action.

                Second, if you were 'forever free' as you suggest you are, you would
                not be slave to any 'headaches' brought upon by other people's ideas
                because you would be confident in your own.

                Third, it seems you are used to people rolling over when you present
                ideas because of how you present them: in unintelligablly complex
                circumlocution, amidst threats, and with authority of insistence.
                Two solutions would be: better refine your ideas when offered the
                challenge of doing so, and think them through more completely in the
                first place.

                Dr. Joyce Knott
              • Trinidad Cruz
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 2, 2006
                  "It was like watching Hitler morph into a Mary Poppins."

                  Exactly right. Latent psychopathy.

                  tc