Re: own

    Message 1 of 29 , Aug 29 1:17 PM
      Doesn't what you read in the words have much to do with the kind of
      interest, the intellectual sympathy or aesthetic passion, that you
      do or don't feel? Knott is a long-standing contributor here, though
      there are often months together when he does not post. My
      impression is not of a man who is preoccupied with his own ego, but
      of a writer who remains aware of the complex interplay between
      language and conscious life. The latter phrase is vague, or sounds
      vague. The virtue of philosophy is to render us more knowing, more
      being. This is turning into an unintended satire of Heideggerian
      translation into English. Am I speaking of Dasein? Guess that I
      might at least be asking the right man.

      Louise

      > I guess the "get over yourself" line is generational or
      something. Not getting it, I see. Well, how's about this: your
      preoccupation with yourself is tiring and boorish. Isn't there
      anything else in your universe besides your own ego? Or is that your
      take on, oh what is that word -- wait, it is coming to me -- has
      something to do with the group -- oh yeah, EXISTENTIALISM?

      I am
      > that you express that I should get over. Once I know, I'll make a
      best
      > effort.
      >
      > Generally Pleasing

    • Knott
      Message 2 of 29 , Aug 29 2:21 PM
        > Isn't there anything else in your universe besides your own ego?

        No. You see there is a real problem with seeing something from
        another vantage other than my own...even if I am trying to be
        sympathetic to a position. I believe I have mentioned that in other
        postings--not that I would expect you to do insane research as you
        have in collecting all TC posts, which are apparently brilliant --
        but I am not sure I can prove that anything is but a figment of my
        imagination, and I am not so confident as you as to my insight into
        others. Why don't you have the same critique for TC? For some reason
        that he sees everything from his perspective is fine...I am
        wondering about the dichotomy. personally I don't know how anyone
        can escape their own perspective.

        You seem to think it is enough to slather out insults without
        addressing anything and do so from a position of authority and
        attempted intimidation from imagined superiority -- at least in your
        presentation. It doesn't work. I also wonder why you should request
        that I do so when you seem incapable of it yourself. I have asked
        you questions, which you have not answered -- that is beling curious
        as to your position. However, all you come back with are slants. You
        taunt, but I should shut up and not taunt back, or even respond.

        It is a curious desire but you are not pulling the strings...you
        intend to intimidate, and it doesn't work, so it is me who is at
        fault...interesting logic. I know someone on this list that shares
        same that you revere. What a surprise.

        Knott Quietly
      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Aug 29 2:47 PM
          First, just because TC and I both seem to dislike your style doesn't mean that we are joined at the hip. I only found out that he is a he, for example, during that exchange. If you have a problem with me, please limit it to me. You are projecting all kinds of things on "me" that are probably more about you. But so much for my 50 minute hour.

          Secondly, it seems to me that your biggest problem is with anyone saying anything to you that contradicts you. Sorry about that. Too bad, though.

          And, what is it that I am supposed to be answering to you?

          Finally, solopsism is not a very respected or defensible position. But I am guessing that you are just being coy about that.

          WS

          > Isn't there anything else in your universe besides your own ego?

          No. You see there is a real problem with seeing something from
          another vantage other than my own...even if I am trying to be
          sympathetic to a position. I believe I have mentioned that in other
          postings--not that I would expect you to do insane research as you
          have in collecting all TC posts, which are apparently brilliant --
          but I am not sure I can prove that anything is but a figment of my
          imagination, and I am not so confident as you as to my insight into
          others. Why don't you have the same critique for TC? For some reason
          that he sees everything from his perspective is fine...I am
          wondering about the dichotomy. personally I don't know how anyone
          can escape their own perspective.

          You seem to think it is enough to slather out insults without
          addressing anything and do so from a position of authority and
          attempted intimidation from imagined superiority -- at least in your
          presentation. It doesn't work. I also wonder why you should request
          that I do so when you seem incapable of it yourself. I have asked
          you questions, which you have not answered -- that is beling curious
          as to your position. However, all you come back with are slants. You
          taunt, but I should shut up and not taunt back, or even respond.

          It is a curious desire but you are not pulling the strings...you
          intend to intimidate, and it doesn't work, so it is me who is at
          fault...interesting logic. I know someone on this list that shares
          same that you revere. What a surprise.

          Knott Quietly

        • Trinidad Cruz
          Message 4 of 29 , Aug 29 7:45 PM
            Knottreallythere

            Oh you knaughty thing let's just play the question game, then you can
            have your nuk and go to bed. You get ten questions. I get ten
            questions. We alternate. You go first. No answering questions with
            questions. Replies and questions limited to ten words or less. No
            commentary. If you reject a question I get one extra and vice versa.

            tc
          • Knott
            Message 5 of 29 , Aug 30 8:14 AM
              > it seems to me that your biggest problem is
              > with anyone saying anything to you that
              > contradicts you.

              I think you lack the capacity as I don't believe there is much that
              I say to contradict. Don't read that incorrectly; I don't think I
              say anything. That you reply with taunts makes it seem as if you are
              looking for a joust -- and when I fulfill your needs, you complain.

              You are perhaps a little too hot to be on TCs team. I guess it is
              alluring as he claims to always know.

              > what is it that I am supposed to be answering to you?

              It is those sentences that end with a '?'. You see I just did it...

              > solopsism is not a very respected or defensible position.

              a. I don't care about your respect.
              b. It is completely defensible if you note a, but I think it is
              completely defensible otherwise...

              Breifly: how do I tell you from any other hallucination or
              misiterpretation of my senses?

              I assume error...it is you damned guys who always assume you know
              everything that are irksome.

              The Crowd
            • Knott
              Message 6 of 29 , Aug 30 8:44 AM
                > Oh you knaughty thing let's just play the
                > question game...Replies and questions limited
                > to ten words or less.

                I was going to ask "why ten words or less" as that really limits any
                detail and explication, but I assumed you'd take that as a
                question...My guess is you won't want to keep your own rules in a
                moment...either that or it is an excuse to issue non-answers.

                Question:
                What is your plan for after the revolution?

                Thats One
              • eupraxis@aol.com
                Message 7 of 29 , Aug 30 8:55 AM
                  "'solipsism is not a very respected or defensible position.'
                  "a. I don't care about your respect. b. It is completely defensible if you note a, but I think it is completely defensible otherwise... Briefly: how do I tell you from any other hallucination or misinterpretation of my senses?"

                  The "respect" I was referring to was that of the philosophical community at large. There is quite a lot on this topic, as I am sure you know. The counter-arguments go as far back as classical antiquity. I won't bore you with things you may already be familiar with. What I will say is that your counter-example above is more a case of radical skepticism than solipsism. A hallucination still presumes a false idea in lieu of the "world" that is still presupposed. A world is always presupposed.

                  In that light, how does a solipsist explain the language with its wealth of references, if not for a real presupposed world? Therein, my charge of indefensibility.

                  Modern phenomenology has offered the best (for me) treatment of the issue, especially Heidegger in B&T (circumspection, care. etc.). I would also contend that Hegel has as well.

                  WS

                  Message 8 of 29 , Aug 30 8:57 AM
                    Think Ill take a nice long vacation to New Orleans.
                    /10 words

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                  • eupraxis@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 29 , Aug 30 9:14 AM
                      If you do, look me up.

                      WS

                      --- Knott <knott12@...> wrote:

                      > > Oh you knaughty thing let's just play the
                      > > question game...Replies and questions limited
                      > > to ten words or less.
                      >
                      > I was going to ask "why ten words or less" as that
                      > really limits any
                      > detail and explication, but I assumed you'd take
                      > that as a
                      > question...My guess is you won't want to keep your
                      > own rules in a
                      > moment...either that or it is an excuse to issue
                      > non-answers.
                      >
                      > Question:
                      > What is your plan for after the revolution?
                      >
                      > Thats One

                      http://mail.yahoo.com

                    • Knott
                      Message 10 of 29 , Aug 30 9:50 AM
                        > The "respect" I was referring to was
                        > that of the philosophical community at large.

                        What makes you think I care about that either? I care about what has
                        made sense to me and what is of interest. Whether you understand it
                        or whether I can convey it means much less -- if value can be
                        ascertained.

                        > The counter-arguments go as far back as classical antiquity.

                        The stupidest of which being one of the most famous -- the latter
                        parts of Descant where he attributes his ability to believe in the
                        world to god's goodness. I stopped agreeing at "I think therefore I
                        am". I am not at all sure my thinking can define anything other than
                        I think I am, and sometimes I wonder about the 'I' part.

                        > radical skepticism

                        So, you say "solipsism" and I agree, then you disagree with your
                        original perspective, like we are having an arguement. You
                        apparently like to pull the strings. If you would make up your mind
                        (whatever title you please is fine -- I don't care for labels
                        either) we would have no arguement. I can be whatever you want.
                        Label me. I see how either of these fits -- and how neither does. Be
                        the puppetier.

                        > A hallucination still presumes a false
                        > idea in lieu of the "world" that is still
                        > presupposed. A world is always presupposed.

                        Well, that is the first mistake. Why pre-suppose anything at all?
                        Why does your perspective on hallucination come with such
                        limitations? Why can't the entire thing be a hallucination or a
                        dream? Have you ever seen a really crazy person? I mean one who
                        thinks he is really someone else? How do I know I am not him/her?
                        How do I know what is real?

                        > In that light, how does a solipsist explain
                        > the language with its wealth of references,
                        > if not for a real presupposed world? Therein,
                        > my charge of indefensibility.

                        I can't explain a thing. I have no pre-supposition. I don't know
                        that I believe in a world. You tell me I am Solipsist or radical
                        skeptic or whatever...I did label it absurdist at one point --
                        mostly because it made me laugh. I don't believe words mean
                        anything -- or perhaps I agree that there is hope that they mean
                        something -- but that a word, any word, will not have 100%
                        correspondence between one human and another as far as meaning and
                        interpretation because of experience and digestion (if I can say it
                        that way). Experience of words and their interpretation is 100%
                        individual. There seems to be a consensus at times, but I believe
                        consensus to be more like circumlocution (not exactly) than
                        identical conclusion. I say things and have to depend on words to
                        carry meaning -- all pretty much a hopeless endeavor.

                        > Modern phenomenology has offered the best
                        > (for me) treatment of the issue, especially
                        > Heidegger in B&T (circumspection, care. etc.).
                        > I would also contend that Hegel has as well.

                        Stop blaming your mistakes on other people. Quotes are all well and
                        good but it is the sense of the words that you believe you are
                        interpreting, and you may be right or wrong in doing so...and be
                        completely unaware one way or the other. If you digest words, and
                        come to ideas that make sense, I believe the ideas are yours. I know
                        what I think about other philosophers from their words, but damn if
                        I can blame them for my interpretation of what they wrote...It isn't
                        their problem how stupid I am or how I come to the words. For
                        example, you are probably not as stupid as I am impressed with, and
                        because you think you are clever and knowledgeable (my
                        interpretation), it is likely to stay that way -- fair or not.

                        I, for one, can tell you I have no idea what I am talking about...I
                        am just interested in it.

                        Flack Jack
                      • eupraxis@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 29 , Aug 30 10:23 AM
                          Well, I tried to be as civil as I could. First mistake. Then I assumed that you had a little ed-jee-kashion. Second mistake. And it's is Descartes, Einstein, and he is a "modern" philosopher, not from classical antiquity. The rest of your babble isn't worth responding to. I think I will just tune you out from here on.

                          Please do not respond.

                          WS

                          Message 12 of 29 , Aug 30 4:19 PM
                            > it's is Descartes, Einstein

                            Hahahaha, don't ask me what I did to come up with that spelling! I
                            can't even blame beer at lunch. I think in my mind I melded the title
                            of a book from Phil 101 Hume, Descartes and Kant...That's what I mean
                            about words -- they don't often paint the whole picture. Though I
                            don't know if i call him necessarily 'modern'.

                            Don't be a buffoon, I know who he is.

                            And from what did you become insulted while I made fun of myself? You
                            are not merely sensitive -- it goes a bit beyond that. You want
                            people to weep in your presence.

                            > The rest of your babble isn't worth responding
                            > to. I think I will just tune you out from here on.

                            Like any one of us will be losers on that one...

                            > Please do not respond.

                            Sorry dude:

                            Notta Monkey
                          • Trinidad Cruz
                            Message 13 of 29 , Aug 31 6:49 AM

                              Knott question one:
                              "What is your plan for after the revolution?"

                              answer: Free press, Flat tax, Death penalty for election fraud convictees.

                              TC question one:
                              Does the bug crawl in and out of your ass?

                              Don't skip turns.
                            • Knott
                              Message 14 of 29 , Aug 31 9:46 AM
                                > TC question one:
                                > Does the bug crawl in and out of your ass?

                                I can't answer that because I don't know what it means. Please
                                rephrase.

                                > Don't skip turns.

                                There is no difference. You can't possibly be getting confused, I'm
                                numbering them.

                                > answer: Free press, Flat tax, Death penalty for election fraud
                                convictees.

                                You can't enforce the first, because it won't make money, and money
                                ties press to a lack of freedom. I will surprise you and agree with
                                the second, but find it unlikely that you can get it instilled. I
                                don't see why elections would fail to elect the same morons it
                                elects now--regardless of who dies from cheating.

                                This is not a plan, it is a wish, and there is a difference. You say
                                nothing of how to change the government, and I would imagine that
                                once they are all dead there needs to be a fundamental change. That
                                would likely mean you need to place people to govern, run the army,
                                give all the food stamps you want to generate...

                                You think you can take care of it in ten words, and that was my
                                original objection to the stupid, stupid article. It addressed the
                                problem in one: revolution. That was not an answer either.

                                Lush Tenness
                              • Susan Schnelbach
                                Message 15 of 29 , Aug 31 1:55 PM
                                  On Aug 31, 2006, at 11:46 AM, Knott wrote:

                                  > > answer: Free press, Flat tax, Death penalty for election fraud
                                  > convictees.
                                  >
                                  > You can't enforce the first, because it won't make money, and money
                                  > ties press to a lack of freedom. I will surprise you and agree with

                                  I think I disagree with this comment. The press is free to cover
                                  whatever it wants. Their obsession with making money and having the
                                  most readers/viewers leads them to covering what they think the
                                  general public wants to hear most about. If they really want to, they
                                  should be able to balance between covering the crap like Jon-Benet,
                                  the OJ trials, whatever airplane crashed, etc and covering news we
                                  really should hear/read about.

                                  Besides, if you 'enforce' a free press, it is no longer free.

                                  As for the flat tax, anyone who actually works for a living is for a
                                  flat tax. Too bad the lazy lawyers in Congress are more concerned
                                  with their retirement plans, kingdoms, and lobbyists to actually do
                                  something good for the rest of us.
                                • Knott
                                  Message 16 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
                                    > > > answer: Free press, Flat tax, Death penalty for election fraud
                                    > > convictees.
                                    > >
                                    > > You can't enforce the first, because it won't make money, and money
                                    > > ties press to a lack of freedom.
                                    > >
                                    > I think I disagree with this comment. The press is free to cover
                                    > whatever it wants. Their obsession with making money and having the
                                    > most readers/viewers leads them to covering what they think the
                                    > general public wants to hear most about.

                                    I disagree that you disagree. Technically, essentially the press is free to cover what they
                                    want (who is policing them?...wait, here comes a paranioa theory...in an other message),
                                    actually not free because they need to make money on all the trees they kill. You might
                                    have a government subsidy...and then you would have government control as to what goes
                                    in and stays out (censorship). You could have a different kind of subsidy (censorship). TC's
                                    real goal would be to have a bunch of people who don't care about making money banding
                                    together out of the goodness of their hearts to pay with their lives for giving you the REAL
                                    news (I have issues with the idea that there is any such thing -- but that is a different
                                    arguement and I am quite able to separate those things). That is the core of his revolution
                                    thus far: that everyone be trusted to band together for the common good after we kill all
                                    the current politicians that we supposedly elected and the rich people that support them
                                    (emphasis on paranoia theory only partly my own).

                                    My real point is that these people who like the idea of revolution don't like the idea that
                                    they have to come up with something better. So far, TC's revolution is based on the fact
                                    that everything will become better on its own -- and that people will fundamentally
                                    change because a revolution has happened, that they will band together for a cause and
                                    stay with that cause in mind after the goal of the revolution (overthrow) is achieved. Nice
                                    hope. My point is that the goal has to have more interest -- longer legs than just
                                    achieving an overthrow.

                                    The revolutionists in the group are not interested in much but the glory of the chaos of
                                    revolution, and continue to be unable to think past their shoelaces. Something needs to
                                    drive people to want to make things better after removing the old. It is too difficult of a
                                    problem for the revolutionists to address.

                                    Fundamental Interests
                                  • two_owl_night
                                    Message 17 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006

                                      Something needs to drive people to want to make things better after
                                      removing the old. It is too difficult of a problem for the
                                      revolutionists to address.

                                      This is fundamental Camus.

                                      Mary
                                    • Trinidad Cruz
                                      Message 18 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
                                        You reject a question, I get an extra one. TEN words, NO commentary.

                                        question one:
                                        Does the bug crawl in and out of your ass?

                                        extra question one:
                                        What does TEN mean to you?

                                        tc

                                        > > TC question one:
                                        > > Does the bug crawl in and out of your ass?
                                        >
                                        > I can't answer that because I don't know what it means. Please
                                        > rephrase.
                                        >
                                        > > Don't skip turns.
                                        >
                                        > There is no difference. You can't possibly be getting confused, I'm
                                        > numbering them.
                                        >
                                        > > answer: Free press, Flat tax, Death penalty for election fraud
                                        > convictees.
                                        >
                                        > You can't enforce the first, because it won't make money, and money
                                        > ties press to a lack of freedom. I will surprise you and agree with
                                        > the second, but find it unlikely that you can get it instilled. I
                                        > don't see why elections would fail to elect the same morons it
                                        > elects now--regardless of who dies from cheating.
                                        >
                                        > This is not a plan, it is a wish, and there is a difference. You say
                                        > nothing of how to change the government, and I would imagine that
                                        > once they are all dead there needs to be a fundamental change. That
                                        > would likely mean you need to place people to govern, run the army,
                                        > give all the food stamps you want to generate...
                                        >
                                        > You think you can take care of it in ten words, and that was my
                                        > original objection to the stupid, stupid article. It addressed the
                                        > problem in one: revolution. That was not an answer either.
                                        >
                                        > Lush Tenness

                                      • Knott
                                        Message 19 of 29 , Sep 1, 2006
                                          > extra question one:
                                          > What does TEN mean to you?

                                          1111111111 or QQQQQQQQQQ

                                          but when there are no words ...

                                          Ten High
                                        • Jeff Cunningham
                                          Message 20 of 29 , Sep 2, 2006
                                            Bug goes in the mouth. Bug crawls out the ass./10
                                            words

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com