Re: tarting himselves

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29, 2006
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night"
      <two_owl_night@...> wrote:

      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Knott" <knott12@> wrote:
      >
      > And no, I haven't read Bill Knott (though I glanced at the page
      just
      > now), nor am I Bill Knott, and I am not Bill and Bill is not Knott
      > and Loise is not Knott and Knott not Louise and Bill is likely not
      > Bill Knott and Louise is likely not Bill Knott...And so to not Bill
      > Knott are you.
      >
      > I have and make no apologies for it. It was synchonicity; but
      since I
      > travel along modern and edgey poetry tracks, I consider it
      serendipity
      > to find such a living suicide. It was only a matter of time before
      the
      > collision.
      >
      > Mary

      What is a 'living suicide', please, or do I have to read more of
      this chap's verse to find out?

      Louise

    • two_owl_night
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 30, 2006

        What is a 'living suicide', please, or do I have to read more of this
        chap's verse to find out?

        Yes, Louise! Still reading it myself. "Living suicide" in the
        melancholy tradition of Emile Cioran, but not his writing style. He's
        miserable, brilliant, has impeccable taste in poetry, and writes/edits
        his own with scalpel-like precision. To gauge from what I've read of
        his former students and interviewers (other websites), his teaching
        style was/is intimidating but razor sharp. He's self-deprecating and
        bitter; engaged with life but nearly reclusive; and very humorous. He
        claims outcast status in the poetics community from the beginning of
        his career but turns down speaking engagements. He mocked the vanity
        press but now publishes his works on his blog and gives away pdf-files
        of his books if simply asked. Disappointed with the traditional poetry
        press, he rants about the publishing community, posts his praises and
        pans. Sarcastic is a good descriptor with which I identify. He seems a
        mystery wrapped in an enigma, but if you take all his parts - man,
        poet, professor, lover, disappointed reluctant enthusiast, and many
        other parts, he's just human. Yes, I do relate quite strongly to
        the "orphan" thing. His language is frank and adult. He laughs and
        bleeds at the same time. He writes plays, movie poems, includes his
        artwork and offers scathing political and religious critique. Without
        being overtly philosophical, as noted on his initial blog entry, his
        work is existential, like most honest poetry. He's ALL about the poetry.

        Quickly & poorly written, I hope this little snapshot helps.