RE: Digest Number 93

  • Rajiv Pande
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 1999
      Dear all,
      "Philosophy begins when one learns to doubt one's cherished beliefs, one's dogmas and axioms. Who knows how these habits became certainties for us and whether some secret wish did not furtively beget them, clothing desire in the dress of thought?" - from Will Durant's "The Story of Philosophy"
      In this context Arthur Koestler writes:
      "But to undo a habit sanctified by dogma and tradition, one has to overcome immensely powerful intellectual and emotional obstacles. To unlearn is more difficult than to learn; and it seems that the task of breaking up rigid cognitive structures and re-assembling them into a new synthesis cannot, as a rule, be performed in the full daylight of the conscious, rational mind. It can only be done by reverting to those more fluid, less committed and less specialized forms of thinking which normally operate in the twilight zones of awareness" - from "The Ghost in the Machine"
      Regards
      Rajiv
    • Rajiv Pande
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 1999
        Dear all,
        I think we should classify our messages into three broad categories
        a) Serious academic discussion (SAD)
        b) Casual Questions and Answers (CQA) and
        c) Happy baby babble (HBB)
        SAD and HBB may not always receive a response, but CQA always stands a chance!
        Regards
        Rajiv
        (not that SAD and HBB are to be avoided - it's just that responses are not to be expected so easily for such messages)
      • Yana Youhana
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 7, 1999
          Dear Rajiv,
          can you please kindly give us a SSS (silly simple sample) of
          all three catagories so we should know and each time we post
          or reply something to add the abriviation to the subject header,
          so you won't have to waste your time reading materials that
          you are not interested to read :) I am just worried about
          your valuble time, we wouldn't want it to be wasted ;) Thank You!

          ~yana