We

  • Nicholas Widger
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 7, 2006
      I understand Existentialism is our subject, and Existentialism is
      dependent on individualism, but what if we consider the group an
      individual--not just this group, but the whole world--as if the
      world were a United Front of Individuals. And as a United Front of
      Individuals each individual made their own choices, but also made
      choices that impacted the group. Each choice, no matter how small,
      may have an impact on the choice of others in the group.

      For example, Plato chooses to write down a set of ideas, then based
      on his ideas other people choose to write down their ideas (either
      for debate or addition) each of these ideas become subjects studied
      by other people, and this system of impact continues on up to the
      present. Yet, each part (idea stemming from the intial idea) has its
      own value to the world. And each person has his/her own way to view
      each of these ideas.

      An individual can disreguard or reguard subjects and/or those who
      choose to reguards a certain set of subjest. They can also choose to
      villify or compliment a person who reguards a certain set of
      subjects. And one can also see the others view on a subject as being
      illogical or irrational (or somehow not expressing the truth).

      For example, an Atheist may disreguard a Christians belief in G/god
      or the Christian belief in general. The Atheist may even vilify the
      Christian to other atheists. And the Atheist may attempt to prove
      how the christian belief is illogical or irrational.

      A set of people may reguard Plato's ideas or christian beliefs,
      while another set may disreguard these beliefs for other beliefs.
      But isn't this the trait of an individual trying to find an answer?
      We, the individual, are in our mind contemplating the reason for our
      existence and our purpose in it. I debate multiple ideas in my mind,
      reguarding and disreguarding certain points as I attempt to
      rationalize my being. My ideas fight until they come to an answer I
      can rationalize as being true. We seem to act like these ideas.
    • NEFILIM001@aol.com
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 8, 2006
        I like the progression of your logical thought. Point to point you provide a
        lively developmental manner of Existential[ism] 'movement'.

        The Individual within the Group -- does indeed have an impact upon the group;
        both as to how we affect the others about us and of course their selves as
        part of the whole.

        I like the way you break down the progression of timely interchange and
        debate of interlocking Ideas/Ideas from the * earlest philosophers to the present.

        I know I will not have been able to formulate the various theories I
        presently hold, were I not have had the desire and drive to read the accumulation of
        lifetime opinions of all those who wrote passionately about what they believe;
        generations, centuries even millennea before.

        Everything we have studied and observed--every club and class contributes to
        who we are and will eventually become. We determine the course of our [own]
        progression, whether stumbling blindly through our own experiences, or steadily
        defining our Selves by taking such specificly calculated steps.