Mimi the Monster Virus.

  • two_owl_night
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2006
      Jacket Magazine is another fine online literary journal. A friend of
      mine recently suggested that we need another Renaissance. I couldn't
      agree more. Once again, we need that rare combination of science, art
      and philosophy which is vigorous, intellectual, and pervading
      contemporary culture.

      We need a revolution against the commercially fueled Media Monster.
      Yesterday I watched a weirdly wonderful film, "True Stories", which
      depicts 'specialness' as consumer/media driven conformity . . .

      Recently someone remarked here that we'll never move forward into
      political solutions if we continue to use history as a justification.
      Tom Wolfe put it well: ... the notion that A in the past caused B in
      the present, which will cause C in the future, when actually A, B,
      and C are all part of a pattern that can be truly understood only by
      opening the doors of perception and experiencing it ... in this
      moment ... this supreme moment ... kairos (Jack Magazine)

      This is the link to the MimiVirus from Jacket #30.
      http://www.discover.com/issues/mar-06/cover/?page=2

      Bill, I really dig your account from another existential front. There
      are so many.

      Mary (morning's memetic monster)
    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2006
        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night" <two_owl_night@...>
        wrote:

        "We need a revolution against the commercially fueled Media Monster.
        Yesterday I watched a weirdly wonderful film, "True Stories", which
        depicts 'specialness' as consumer/media driven conformity . . ."

        Yeah Mary. Go out on the freeway in Chicago and you realize that
        everyone is important with important things to do. Then you have
        little league and soccer moms in school zones with all their special
        kids, driving in a way that endangers all the other moms and their kids.

        "Recently someone remarked here that we'll never move forward into
        political solutions if we continue to use history as a justification."

        Your right. We'll never move forward as long as world leaders continue
        to embrace Oswald Spenglers view of history. Of course they would
        argue which direction was actually forward.

        "Tom Wolfe put it well: ... the notion that A in the past caused B in
        the present, which will cause C in the future, when actually A, B, and
        C are all part of a pattern that can be truly understood only by
        opening the doors of perception and experiencing it ... in this moment
        ... this supreme moment ... kairos (Jack Magazine)"

        People can believe anything they want, at any given moment; but very
        few ever deconstruct far enough to figure out what is actually humanly
        good to believe in. Find what's good to believe in and believe in it.
        Dialectically it won't be a building process. People like to build
        Babels. It makes them feel important and a little safe. You know the
        whole of the immense edifice of human dialectic cannot be a
        meta-narrative because interests and intents at the bottom of the
        rubble are always individually and temporally formed. They tangle up
        and build something and somebody calls it a common good just because
        it seems to stand there. The pyramids don't justify the pyramid
        builders, but in their day the builders sure justify the hell out of
        what they built. I doubt there is any dialectical path to avoiding
        being less than human. Co-existence is the path of resistance. It
        pulls back against the sucking obviating quagmire of dialectical
        agreement. One world 'll just disintegrate into billions, almost
        instantly. Maybe that's what everybody needs to get the hard way. I am
        an axiom of you, and you are an axiom of me, simply because we are
        acquainted. I am responsible for my dialectical view of you, and you
        are responsible for your dialectical view of me. Co-exist. Small
        communities. Break up the horizon with multiple beliefs.Some things
        are meta: eating and drinking, sleeping securely, and sex. If everyone
        could have those things, dialectical differences wouldn't matter.
        Across America the majority of people have these things, almost
        automatically. Large parts of the rest of the world do not. It is easy
        to see why Americans are confused by terrorism, and why they would
        embrace the idea that the American way is the solution, and why they
        would rise to defend what they have. What they don't get yet is that
        the man's too big.

        "(morning's memetic monster)"

        Hard science is data. The only creativity that really belongs in it is
        the proposition of what to collect data on and ways to do it. It may
        reach a hundred degrees here today.

        tc