We

    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 20, 2006
      The people of the freeworld is the plurality to whom I refer. Should
      you wish to join the other side , hope they pull you from a bunker,
      dead or alive. Bill
    • peno hardesty
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 20, 2006
        very diplomatic of you----- freedom demands dialog not
        destruction----no country is monolithic------no people
        either-----diversity and dialog------your attitude
        suggests that you do not trust freedom----individual
        thought------or non violent victory-------guns have
        powder knowledge has power-----vaya con dios----p

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/ACsqlB/TM

        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 20, 2006
          What other side? Why are you so quick to see people hurt? Is this some Fox
          News thing?

        • eupraxis@aol.com
          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 20, 2006
            ditto that.

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 20, 2006

              writes:

              > > The people of the freeworld is the plurality to whom I refer.
              Should
              > > you wish to join the other side , hope they pull you from a
              bunker,
              > > dead or alive. Bill
              > > Who are you, You repress the idea you are a newbiee but we have
              no history about you and personally , I find you a shadow
              confrontry worthy of little but suspicion.Speak ye nave or you own
              only your masters.Bill

            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 20, 2006
                Not sure what you mean by "repress the idea". I am new to this group, but I
                am a veteran in philosophy, to be sure. Am I supposed to say everywhere I have
                taught; what degrees I have, etc.? What do you want to know? What does this
                have to do with the issues at hand, anyway?

                And just who do you think you are? Some Grand Inquisitor from a Dentist
                office without a spell check?

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                  In my experience, Bill never inquires, grandly or otherwise.
                  Dentists are like gold-dust, at least in UK, the implied slight
                  bringing a shudder to my spine. Veterans in philosophy are most
                  welcome here. It's the impertinent newbies we don't like. My 'free
                  world' may differ slightly from Bill's, indeed, may differ
                  considerably. It is only by trying to get to know each other's
                  thought that we may hope to clarify the use of pronouns.

                  US Spell-Check [unemployed]

                  writes:

                  > > -- In existlist@yahoogrouexistl, eupraxis@ wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > What other side? Why are you so quick to see people hurt? Is
                  this
                  > > some Fox
                  > > > News thing?

                  > > Should
                  > > bunker,
                  > > no history about you and personally , I find you a shadow
                  > > confrontry worthy of little but suspicion.Speak ye nave or you
                  own
                  > > only your masters.Bill

                • Susan Schnelbach
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                    Louise - You never know when the 'impertinent newbies" might also
                    have a good idea...

                    Listen to everyone.

                  • eupraxis@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                      Yes. "Impertinent", indeed! A rather haughty, impertinent term.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:

                        > Louise - You never know when the 'impertinent newbies" might also
                        > have a good idea...
                        >
                        > Listen to everyone.

                        I do listen to everyone, Susan. This is why I feel somewhat ill.
                        It was you told me not to imagine comments were directed against me,
                        fair observation, simply that the refusal to explain or withdraw
                        insults ruins everything. According to my own values. I do not see
                        this as a political list. Am not willing to blame Bill for
                        everything of that nature. At least he knows his stuff. Louise

                        Message 11 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                          You self-righteous swine :-). Shall keep my pearls to myself, in
                          future. Bill was right. Louise

                        • eupraxis@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                            Now, that's nice language. Glad to see such a civil tongue from someone who
                            is so sensitive to the language of others. Really great.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                              Sorry if you don't get my sense of humour. If I have offended you,
                              I withdraw the remark. It is my constant attempt to keep out of
                              this venue the strain of living an existential life in the real
                              world. Seems that I often fail. Possibly you are considerably my
                              senior, and I would not dream of addressing you thus if we met in
                              the flesh, at a university seminar, for instance. I find cyberspace
                              difficult. Louise

                              Message 14 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                                Thanks for the reply.

                                Wil

                                In a message dated 7/21/06 8:51:59 AM, hecubatoher@... writes:

                                > Sorry if you don't get my sense of humour. If I have offended you,
                                > I withdraw the remark. It is my constant attempt to keep out of
                                > this venue the strain of living an existential life in the real
                                > world. Seems that I often fail. Possibly you are considerably my
                                > senior, and I would not dream of addressing you thus if we met in
                                > the flesh, at a university seminar, for instance. I find cyberspace
                                > difficult. Louise

                              • Exist List Moderator
                                Message 15 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                                  On Jul 20, 2006, at 19:55, eupraxis@... wrote:

                                  > What other side? Why are you so quick to see people hurt? Is this some
                                  > Fox
                                  > News thing?

                                  If it were a "Fox News thing" it would involve a missing college co-ed,
                                  a teacher sleeping with her students, the dangers of tanning beds, or
                                  something equally deep during the ratings period.

                                  Studies of actual news content, not commentary, have shown Fox is no
                                  better or worse than MSNBC and CNN U.S. -- they all go for the empty
                                  headlines about teens in Aruba, and cruise ship murders.

                                  As for the commentators... I don't watch Fox after the Fox Report. I
                                  cannot stand an hour of Bill, and Sean Hannity is just simply annoying.

                                  We are consumers of information. As such, we make a choice to either
                                  seek out as much information and as many views as possible or we allow
                                  our biases to dictate our sources. I channel surf, 'net surf, and buy a
                                  lot of books from diverse writers. Most people do not do this -- they
                                  either buy all from the left or all from the right and have no ability
                                  to admit that both extremes are usually wrong honestly or
                                  intentionally.

                                  I've never figured out of the errors in various publications are
                                  intentional or not. Sometimes, I definitely think they cherry-pick
                                  their sources too much.

                                  I also think the notion of "fair and balanced" or "objectivity" is
                                  nonsense, regardless of the source. Human choice and free will is
                                  involved during the entire news gathering process. An editor selects
                                  stories. A reporter selects his or her sources. A copy editor decides
                                  which words to use ("illegal alien" versus "undocumented worker" is a
                                  political choice). A layout editor composes a headline. It's all human
                                  choice, colored by biases.

                                  Television is no different, with editors, producers, directors,
                                  reporters, and so forth.

                                  My "we" is that little tiny segment of society willing to read Mother
                                  Jones, Utne Reader, New Republic, Weekly Standard, National Review,
                                  Wall St. Journal, Washington Post, and New York Times. There aren't
                                  many in my little group of readers and thinkers.

                                  Of course, I distrust left and right a lot more than most people. I
                                  admit, I distrust the American "left" a lot more -- I work at
                                  universities, after all, and have to attend their conferences.

                                  - C. S. Wyatt
                                  that I shall be.
                                • Chris Macchione
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                                    Eh! Its all meaningless in the end. Lots of talking
                                    and barking, very little action by the masses. If you
                                    want to make a difference in this crazy world, do
                                    something. Far too often we wax poetic on our
                                    computers; when we can be down in the trenches
                                    bloodying our knuckles to make a difference for
                                    ourselves and for our fellow mankind.

                                    --- Exist List Moderator <existlist1@...>

                                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                                  • eupraxis@aol.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                                      I can respect that skepticism. I do not trust any right-leaning sources, myself. I find the excesses of left are philosophical ones, but rarely factual ones (in most cases). I can negotiate that okay with some patience. The US neo-con and "values" folks are usually at fault in both regards, or so it seems to me.

                                      Your right about Fox vis-a-vis MSNBC and CNN. I dislike them all immensely, especially recently.

                                      The free "will thing", I have to say, rings a bit hollow for me after Nietzsche. Not that I reject the notion; I just find it metaphysically vague and "over-determined" conceptually.

                                      In any case, I do find it rather ghoulish to celebrate the slaughter of people in a tragic war. That still counts as philosophical, doesn't it?

                                      Wil

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                                        On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:20, Chris Macchione wrote:

                                        > Eh! Its all meaningless in the end. Lots of talking
                                        > and barking, very little action by the masses. If you
                                        > want to make a difference in this crazy world, do
                                        > something. Far too often we wax poetic on our
                                        > computers; when we can be down in the trenches
                                        > bloodying our knuckles to make a difference for
                                        > ourselves and for our fellow mankind.

                                        Many on this list and on the Web forums for the EP are actively
                                        involved in their communities. Some find their churches are places to
                                        help others, while others find callings like medicine or teaching. I
                                        certainly didn't pursue teaching to become a millionaire, but to
                                        encourage some actual thought -- I never let any view, from any
                                        position, go unchallenged in my classes.

                                        I work with a particular student population, bilingual immigrants, by
                                        choice. I have also worked with "at risk" students. I find that making
                                        a difference in the world is much easier within my community and local
                                        surroundings than anything more sweeping. My idealism begins small,
                                        hopefully triggering a geometric progression someday via my students,
                                        readers, and audiences.

                                        Of course, it is still idealism. LOL

                                        - C. S. Wyatt
                                        that I shall be.
                                      • Chris Macchione
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                                          I guess my flippant and antagonistic comment was a wee
                                          bit strong: Mea Culpa.
                                          Yet the vast majority seem to be locked into their
                                          own, and unless they are directly affected, they care
                                          little for what happens to others. I think about a
                                          friend of mine who was attending a conference near the
                                          California state Capital in Sacramento, and was
                                          bewildered by the "Pro-war Christian Right" praising
                                          God and Jesus for Israel attacking Lebanon. Hence, my
                                          disgust at all barking and talking; do something. Then
                                          to see photographs of Israeli children signing live
                                          bomb ammmo to be fired into Lebanon-- somewhat
                                          sickening, yet nothig new. I hope people are not just
                                          sitting in their high castles and ivory towers,
                                          pontificating and criticizing the world without
                                          becoming an active participant within it.
                                          The solutions seem less clear and precise when you are
                                          in the midst of the mayhem.

                                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                                        • eupraxis@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Jul 21, 2006
                                            I, for one, agree completely.

                                            Wil

                                            wrote:

                                            > On Jul 21, 2006, at 12:20, Chris Macchione wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > Eh! Its all meaningless in the end. Lots of
                                            > talking
                                            > > and barking, very little action by the masses. If
                                            > you
                                            > > want to make a difference in this crazy world, do
                                            > > something. Far too often we wax poetic on our
                                            > > computers; when we can be down in the trenches
                                            > > bloodying our knuckles to make a difference for
                                            > > ourselves and for our fellow mankind.
                                            >
                                            > Many on this list and on the Web forums for the EP
                                            > are actively
                                            > involved in their communities. Some find their
                                            > churches are places to
                                            > help others, while others find callings like
                                            > medicine or teaching. I
                                            > certainly didn't pursue teaching to become a
                                            > millionaire, but to
                                            > encourage some actual thought -- I never let any
                                            > view, from any
                                            > position, go unchallenged in my classes.
                                            >
                                            > I work with a particular student population,
                                            > bilingual immigrants, by
                                            > choice. I have also worked with "at risk" students.
                                            > I find that making
                                            > a difference in the world is much easier within my
                                            > community and local
                                            > surroundings than anything more sweeping. My
                                            > idealism begins small,
                                            > hopefully triggering a geometric progression someday
                                            > via my students,
                                            > readers, and audiences.
                                            >
                                            > Of course, it is still idealism. LOL
                                            >
                                            > - C. S. Wyatt
                                            > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and
                                            > certainly not all
                                            > that I shall be.
                                            > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential
                                            > Primer

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com

                                          • Exist List Moderator
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Jul 22, 2006
                                              On Jul 21, 2006, at 14:36, Chris Macchione wrote:

                                              > disgust at all barking and talking; do something. Then
                                              > to see photographs of Israeli children signing live
                                              > bomb ammmo to be fired into Lebanon-- somewhat
                                              > sickening, yet nothig new.

                                              We like to believe in "free will" and Sartre tried to claim every day
                                              was a chance to ignore our pasts, but how many of us can really ignore
                                              our childhood, which some suggest is nearly equal to genetics in
                                              personality.

                                              As children are raised in a cult of martyrdom, with toy suicide bomb
                                              vests, and another group of children are taught to hate anyone from the
                                              Shia sects, with action figures of good Sunni and evil Shia imams and
                                              sheiks, these are certain to be groups at war with each other over
                                              time.

                                              You'll notice the Israeli children signing the ordinance were singing
                                              in English. A reporter asked how many speak English -- and only about
                                              half did. In other words, some adult (surprise, surprise) thought this
                                              would be some sort of photo opportunity. It's like banners in Iran
                                              written in English. It's misguided public relations.

                                              The sad thing is, the adults are teaching another generation to hate...
                                              throughout the Middle East and in churches, synagogues, temples, and
                                              mosques worldwide. What a surprise.

                                              My own biases were formed as a teen and adult, since I didn't know my
                                              family history until then and had not researched much of anything. In
                                              college, I worked for a government agency with employees from the
                                              Middle and Near East, many of them translators from Islamic nations.
                                              Their experiences and biases were also part of my education.

                                              We all learn some biases, prejudices, etc. How to deal with them is
                                              dictated by the society around us -- and how willing others are to let
                                              us change. I can try to be unbiased "inside" but if I have to act in a
                                              prejudice manner, it will affect me. It's like smiling every day --
                                              eventually you do change, studies have shown. Conditioning is a
                                              powerful weapon.

                                              - C. S. Wyatt
                                              that I shall be.
                                            • Nicholas Widger
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 7, 2006
                                                I understand Existentialism is our subject, and Existentialism is
                                                dependent on individualism, but what if we consider the group an
                                                individual--not just this group, but the whole world--as if the
                                                world were a United Front of Individuals. And as a United Front of
                                                Individuals each individual made their own choices, but also made
                                                choices that impacted the group. Each choice, no matter how small,
                                                may have an impact on the choice of others in the group.

                                                For example, Plato chooses to write down a set of ideas, then based
                                                on his ideas other people choose to write down their ideas (either
                                                for debate or addition) each of these ideas become subjects studied
                                                by other people, and this system of impact continues on up to the
                                                present. Yet, each part (idea stemming from the intial idea) has its
                                                own value to the world. And each person has his/her own way to view
                                                each of these ideas.

                                                An individual can disreguard or reguard subjects and/or those who
                                                choose to reguards a certain set of subjest. They can also choose to
                                                villify or compliment a person who reguards a certain set of
                                                subjects. And one can also see the others view on a subject as being
                                                illogical or irrational (or somehow not expressing the truth).

                                                For example, an Atheist may disreguard a Christians belief in G/god
                                                or the Christian belief in general. The Atheist may even vilify the
                                                Christian to other atheists. And the Atheist may attempt to prove
                                                how the christian belief is illogical or irrational.

                                                A set of people may reguard Plato's ideas or christian beliefs,
                                                while another set may disreguard these beliefs for other beliefs.
                                                But isn't this the trait of an individual trying to find an answer?
                                                We, the individual, are in our mind contemplating the reason for our
                                                existence and our purpose in it. I debate multiple ideas in my mind,
                                                reguarding and disreguarding certain points as I attempt to
                                                rationalize my being. My ideas fight until they come to an answer I
                                                can rationalize as being true. We seem to act like these ideas.
                                              • NEFILIM001@aol.com
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 8, 2006
                                                  I like the progression of your logical thought. Point to point you provide a
                                                  lively developmental manner of Existential[ism] 'movement'.

                                                  The Individual within the Group -- does indeed have an impact upon the group;
                                                  both as to how we affect the others about us and of course their selves as
                                                  part of the whole.

                                                  I like the way you break down the progression of timely interchange and
                                                  debate of interlocking Ideas/Ideas from the * earlest philosophers to the present.

                                                  I know I will not have been able to formulate the various theories I
                                                  presently hold, were I not have had the desire and drive to read the accumulation of
                                                  lifetime opinions of all those who wrote passionately about what they believe;
                                                  generations, centuries even millennea before.

                                                  Everything we have studied and observed--every club and class contributes to
                                                  who we are and will eventually become. We determine the course of our [own]
                                                  progression, whether stumbling blindly through our own experiences, or steadily
                                                  defining our Selves by taking such specificly calculated steps.