winter coming

  • Eduard Alf
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 16, 2001
      Well, I finished roto-tilling my garden today.

      The trees have turned color and the elm in the
      back yard is now bare of leaves. The
      temperatures during the day seems to be staying up
      there. It was 24c last Sunday. I suspect that we
      will have another warm winter [relatively
      speaking]. The flocks of Canada geese had been
      flying over in their usual "V" formation for the
      past several weeks. I should think that they are
      all south of the border by now. The snowblower
      has been given a tune-up, and although I may still
      get in another grass cutting, we will soon have an
      end to that. The kayak is in the far shed, only a
      few apples are still on the trees, and I have
      stepped up my squirrel and chipmunk feeding. It
      gets dark now at 630p and I drive to work with my
      lights on. We have had our Thanksgiving dinner.
      I shall have to go around the basement and put
      some of that insulation foam near the floor
      joists. I should put some flour or salt on the
      floor, to see if I have any visitors who have come
      inside the house [if you put flour across the door
      sills, you can see their tracks ... mice and
      such]. I think the oil tank for the furnace is
      full.

      Winter is coming.

      eduard
    • William Harris
      Message 2 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
        Eduard, Thank you for the small picture of your life-- peaceful and well
        ordered. Bill

        Eduard Alf wrote:

        > Well, I finished roto-tilling my garden today.
        >
        > The trees have turned color and the elm in the
        > back yard is now bare of leaves. The
        > temperatures during the day seems to be staying up
        > there. It was 24c last Sunday. I suspect that we
        > will have another warm winter [relatively
        > speaking]. The flocks of Canada geese had been
        > flying over in their usual "V" formation for the
        > past several weeks. I should think that they are
        > all south of the border by now. The snowblower
        > has been given a tune-up, and although I may still
        > get in another grass cutting, we will soon have an
        > end to that. The kayak is in the far shed, only a
        > few apples are still on the trees, and I have
        > stepped up my squirrel and chipmunk feeding. It
        > gets dark now at 630p and I drive to work with my
        > lights on. We have had our Thanksgiving dinner.
        > I shall have to go around the basement and put
        > some of that insulation foam near the floor
        > joists. I should put some flour or salt on the
        > floor, to see if I have any visitors who have come
        > inside the house [if you put flour across the door
        > sills, you can see their tracks ... mice and
        > such]. I think the oil tank for the furnace is
        > full.
        >
        > Winter is coming.
        >
        > eduard

      • james tan
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
          eduard can be rather poetic. he has a eye for beauty & nature.

          james.

          From: William Harris <bhvwd@...>
          To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: Re: [existlist] winter coming
          Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:26:25 -0500

          Eduard Alf wrote:

          > Well, I finished roto-tilling my garden today.
          >
          > The trees have turned color and the elm in the
          > back yard is now bare of leaves. The
          > temperatures during the day seems to be staying up
          > there. It was 24c last Sunday. I suspect that we
          > will have another warm winter [relatively
          > speaking]. The flocks of Canada geese had been
          > flying over in their usual "V" formation for the
          > past several weeks. I should think that they are
          > all south of the border by now. The snowblower
          > has been given a tune-up, and although I may still
          > get in another grass cutting, we will soon have an
          > end to that. The kayak is in the far shed, only a
          > few apples are still on the trees, and I have
          > stepped up my squirrel and chipmunk feeding. It
          > gets dark now at 630p and I drive to work with my
          > lights on. We have had our Thanksgiving dinner.
          > I shall have to go around the basement and put
          > some of that insulation foam near the floor
          > joists. I should put some flour or salt on the
          > floor, to see if I have any visitors who have come
          > inside the house [if you put flour across the door
          > sills, you can see their tracks ... mice and
          > such]. I think the oil tank for the furnace is
          > full.
          >
          > Winter is coming.
          >
          > eduard

        • William Harris
          Message 4 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
            How dare Eduward display such traits! We want the facts, just the facts. Bill

            james tan wrote:

            > eduard can be rather poetic. he has a eye for beauty & nature.
            >
            > james.
            >
            > From: William Harris <bhvwd@...>
            > To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [existlist] winter coming
            > Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:26:25 -0500
            >
            > Eduard, Thank you for the small picture of your life-- peaceful and well
            > ordered. Bill
            >
            > Eduard Alf wrote:
            >
            > > Well, I finished roto-tilling my garden today.
            > >
            > > The trees have turned color and the elm in the
            > > back yard is now bare of leaves. The
            > > temperatures during the day seems to be staying up
            > > there. It was 24c last Sunday. I suspect that we
            > > will have another warm winter [relatively
            > > speaking]. The flocks of Canada geese had been
            > > flying over in their usual "V" formation for the
            > > past several weeks. I should think that they are
            > > all south of the border by now. The snowblower
            > > has been given a tune-up, and although I may still
            > > get in another grass cutting, we will soon have an
            > > end to that. The kayak is in the far shed, only a
            > > few apples are still on the trees, and I have
            > > stepped up my squirrel and chipmunk feeding. It
            > > gets dark now at 630p and I drive to work with my
            > > lights on. We have had our Thanksgiving dinner.
            > > I shall have to go around the basement and put
            > > some of that insulation foam near the floor
            > > joists. I should put some flour or salt on the
            > > floor, to see if I have any visitors who have come
            > > inside the house [if you put flour across the door
            > > sills, you can see their tracks ... mice and
            > > such]. I think the oil tank for the furnace is
            > > full.
            > >
            > > Winter is coming.
            > >
            > > eduard

          • james tan
            Message 5 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
              all facts is boring. some squirrels will be nice.

              james.

              From: William Harris <bhvwd@...>
              To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 10:29:40 -0500

              james tan wrote:

              > eduard can be rather poetic. he has a eye for beauty & nature.
              >
              > james.
              >
              > From: William Harris <bhvwd@...>
              > To: existlist@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Re: [existlist] winter coming
              > Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:26:25 -0500
              >
              > Eduard, Thank you for the small picture of your life-- peaceful and well
              > ordered. Bill
              >
              > Eduard Alf wrote:
              >
              > > Well, I finished roto-tilling my garden today.
              > >
              > > The trees have turned color and the elm in the
              > > back yard is now bare of leaves. The
              > > temperatures during the day seems to be staying up
              > > there. It was 24c last Sunday. I suspect that we
              > > will have another warm winter [relatively
              > > speaking]. The flocks of Canada geese had been
              > > flying over in their usual "V" formation for the
              > > past several weeks. I should think that they are
              > > all south of the border by now. The snowblower
              > > has been given a tune-up, and although I may still
              > > get in another grass cutting, we will soon have an
              > > end to that. The kayak is in the far shed, only a
              > > few apples are still on the trees, and I have
              > > stepped up my squirrel and chipmunk feeding. It
              > > gets dark now at 630p and I drive to work with my
              > > lights on. We have had our Thanksgiving dinner.
              > > I shall have to go around the basement and put
              > > some of that insulation foam near the floor
              > > joists. I should put some flour or salt on the
              > > floor, to see if I have any visitors who have come
              > > inside the house [if you put flour across the door
              > > sills, you can see their tracks ... mice and
              > > such]. I think the oil tank for the furnace is
              > > full.
              > >
              > > Winter is coming.
              > >
              > > eduard

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • William Harris
              Message 6 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
                Say eagles on a canoe trip in Minnesota last week. National symbolism aside,
                that bird does rule. They are making a fine comeback down here. Did they die
                back up there? Bill

              • Ryan Dewald
                Message 7 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
                  Hey Bill, anywhere near the BWCAW? I love it there.

                  Ryan

                  Message 8 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
                    Hey there all you existential nut-jobs,

                    I'm in search of a more complete list of existential theme-writing for my
                    own self-loathing reading pleasure. Perchance can some folks chime in with
                    existential works? Philisophical and literary, both are great!

                    Here's a partial list off the top of my head to start the juices flowing:

                    The Stranger -Camus
                    Crime and Punishment -Dostoyevsky
                    Dream of a Ridiculous Man -Dostoyevsky
                    Notes From Underground -Dostoyevsky
                    Nausea -Sartre
                    Waiting for Godot -Samuel Beckett
                    Heart of Darkness -Joseph Conrad
                    Thus Spoke Zarathustra -Nietsche

                    Alright, let's see what you got!

                    -Ryan
                  • james tan
                    Message 9 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
                      try these:

                      martin heidegger, "being and time"
                      jean-paul sartre, "being and nothingness"
                      simone de beauvoir, "the ambiguity of ethics"

                      james.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
                        Try the following

                        Stages on Life's Way - Soren Kierkegaard
                        The Trial - Franz Kafka
                        Metamorphosis - Franz Kafka
                        For Whom the Bell Tolls - Ernest Hemingway (kinda)
                        No Exit and Three Other plays - Sartre
                        The Plague - Camus
                        Faust - Johannes Goethe
                        Brothers Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

                        Theres a bunch more I could name, but these are perhaps the best.

                        The other Ryan
                      • Ryan Dewald
                        Message 11 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
                          Message 12 of 28 , Oct 17, 2001
                            How gracious, but I rarely post, so you go ahead and use it, I have a dozen
                            other names I go by on th Internet
                          • Yulian K. Gaard
                            Message 13 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                              Kierkegaards Samlede værker ... Whoopsi, just requires that you know danish, too bad ...

                              *grin* I'll be writing some infor about existentialistic-humanistic theraphy later. I just dont have alot of time usually *smile*

                              Angelic
                              Yulian

                              Respectfully submitted.

                              " Magic is a way of life. "

                            • William Harris
                              Message 14 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                The root Bill

                                Ryan Dewald wrote:

                                > Hey Bill, anywhere near the BWCAW? I love it there.
                                >
                                > Ryan

                              • Ryan Dewald
                                Message 15 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                  I've been on the Root! Really nice. My first experience with getting
                                  dumped by a sweeper.

                                  Ry

                                    Ryan, Were you on the north fork? Did you see the old hydroelectric dam? If
                                    so what was the date on it? Bill

                                    Ryan Dewald wrote:

                                    > I've been on the Root! Really nice. My first experience with getting
                                    > dumped by a sweeper.
                                    >
                                    > Ry

                                  • Ryan Dewald
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                      I believe we put after the confluence of the north and south forks. As I
                                      recall.

                                      Ryan Dewald wrote:

                                      > I've been on the Root! Really nice. My first experience with getting
                                      > dumped by a sweeper.
                                      >
                                      > Ry

                                    • William Harris
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                        The old plant appears to be dated 1808, which is impossible. Yet some locals
                                        claim the date is correct. We bought the farm at the Rushford wingdam. Whats a
                                        sweeper? Bill

                                        Ryan Dewald wrote:

                                        > I believe we put after the confluence of the north and south forks. As I
                                        > recall.

                                      • Ryan Dewald
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                          A sweeper is a branch or set of branches hanging or laying rigidly above the
                                          water waithing for an unsuspecting paddler to grab and separate from his
                                          canoe. A Strainer is the same thing only underwater and are more dangerous
                                          due to the dramitically reduced opportunity for breathing while stuck in
                                          one.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                            OK I have been the victim of both, we just call them fuckin logs. Whats the
                                            deal on the rutters on kyaks? Probably should ask Eduard. Do you need one for
                                            river kyaking? they seem to add a great deal to the cost. Bill

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                              Rudders are found on sea and touring kayaks. Both are pretty big for waters
                                              such as the Root River. I'd recommend a "play boat" for anything under
                                              2,000 CFS. And annything that's not full of monsters that pull you under.

                                              Sea kayaks are good for Lake Superior, the ocean, Huge rivers with lots of
                                              "keepers"

                                              Ryan

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                                Thanks Ryan, big deep waters scare the crap outa me. I guess I dont need a
                                                rudder. Im trying to combine bicycling and kyaking into a one car, one day,
                                                monster workout. Keeps my mind off anthrax and nuclear weapons. Bill

                                                Message 23 of 28 , Oct 18, 2001
                                                  Was listening to PI again last night. Arab/american students from the Harvard
                                                  School of international meddling were holding forth on how it is the
                                                  responsibility of the US to implement the "plan" for nation building in the
                                                  mideast. One went so far as to say "we know how it works, just do it". I would
                                                  suggest that the population of marginal desart areas has boomed in relation to
                                                  the flow of oil moneys in the area. Fifty years from now the oil will be gone,
                                                  Are we then to support these countries we have established under "the plan"? Hell
                                                  no! Supply and demand will relagate a reduced arab population back to bedouin
                                                  life. If we wernt saddled with an oil president we could go full bore on fusion
                                                  research and truly create a real new world order. Bill

                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 19, 2001
                                                    Ryan,

                                                    I almost hate to ask the question, but what is a BWCAW?

                                                    Hey Bill, anywhere near the BWCAW? I love it there.

                                                    Ryan

                                                    Say eagles on a canoe trip in Minnesota last week. National symbolism
                                                    aside,
                                                    that bird does rule. They are making a fine comeback down here. Did they
                                                    die
                                                    back up there? Bill

                                                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                                  • Eduard Alf
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 19, 2001
                                                      Bill,

                                                      no sure. My kayak has a place for one, but I am new to this. I don't go
                                                      out onto the Ottawa when the wind is blowing. Otherwise I probably would
                                                      never get back to my starting point.

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Oct 22, 2001
                                                        Hey Ed

                                                        Welcome back. Hope the peanut thing is a one-time event. BWCAW is short
                                                        for Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness (as you can see the acronym is
                                                        sorely needed) It's a wilderness area on the Minnesota Canadian border just
                                                        south of the Quetico Provincial Park.

                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Oct 22, 2001
                                                          thanks for the info.

                                                          yes. I need to watch out for gasoline stations that sell peanuts on the
                                                          side.

                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Nov 12, 2012
                                                            Here's a book list for those of you who follow (are interested in) existential writers.

                                                            http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1237.Best_Existential_Fiction

                                                            Audio books are a nice alternative to music while you're puttering with hobbies or exercising.