The irrational cyclic

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 5 11:55 AM
      The discussion on choice has touched on buddism and through Mary has
      linked science in opposition to non linear systems. I was
      particularly impressed by her statement that science had replaced
      phenomonolgy as the operant investigative agent in human progress.
      I knew that, but she said it, and I argue that she is correct. I
      find this observation timely as an irrational rogue state of
      cyclic eastern origin fails at statesmanship, science and linear
      progress. I recall Dylan`s "Idiot wind" as he says " Your an idiot
      babe , it`s a wonder you can even feed yourself". The mad war lord
      of North Korea cannot feed his people, he screams like a petulant
      child and threatens the world with obsolete, primative weapon
      systems. This is the world of the strong man, war lord who has
      forsaken the progress of centuries for the expediance of his
      warped vision. I do not know if he has proclaimed himself a god but
      he has assumed mystical authority in his warped surrounding. The
      pudgy , little , megalomaniac flashes by as example of what happens
      when the established trends of human history are ignored through
      ignorance or self advantage. Cyclic, eastern religions/philosophies
      are more than passing fancys of confused youth. Like communism
      which lingers on the back door of history such outworn and failed
      systems have a cruel potential in a nuclear, high tech world.
      Vowing obesience to communism, islam, buddism ,shintoism and all
      other totalitarian failures is much more dangerous than sticking a
      toe in a curious pond. Exestential science is boring, tedious and
      difficult but in this time, in this real world it works. So please
      do not attempt to teach me buddism, or islam, I have looked deep
      enough in those dead ends and reject the systems and their
      proponents. I burn incense because it smells good, I have no
      desire to transcend. Bill
    • two_owl_night
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 5 2:50 PM
        "In North Korea, much attention is paid to the personalities of the
        deceased "Great Leader" Kim Il Sung and today's "Dear Leader", his son
        Kim Jong Il. Their portraits are omnipresent in streets, schools,
        public buildings and all private homes. The ideological statements and
        scriptures produced by the two leaders are the main basis of education
        for both children and adults. The story of the Kims' descent is
        surrounded with mythology. Children in schools are taught that they
        came down from heaven, and were placed on the top of the Paektusan
        mountains, where they were transformed into human beings. At public
        events, songs are sung that depict the leaders as saviours of the
        country as well as of each individual citizen, thus elevating them to
        the level of deities." - Wikipedia

      • eupraxis@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 5 3:09 PM
          ...But while Bush's public comments about faith have been mostly within
          the mainstream tradition of presidential rhetoric, his supporters
          lately have gone in a less-familiar direction: conveying the idea that
          God is responsible for Bush being in the White House.

          "He is one of those men God and fate somehow lead to the fore in times
          of challenge," said George Pataki in the high-profile introduction of
          Bush at the Republican National Convention, an introduction almost
          certainly scrubbed if not written by the White House.

          ...This is not the first time it's been suggested that God deserves
          thanks for the 2000 election results. Several sympathetic books about
          Bush and his faith make a big deal of his deciding to run for president
          after hearing a Texas minister named Rev. Mark Craig preach about how
          Moses had been called to service by God. Bush's mother reportedly
          turned to her son after the sermon and said, "He was talking to you."

          Stephen Mansfield, author of The Faith of George W. Bush, goes on to
          say: "Not long after, Bush called James Robison (a prominent minister)
          and told him, 'I've heard the call. I believe God wants me to run for
          President.' " Richard Land of the Southern Baptist Convention heard
          Bush say something similar: "Among the things he said to us was: I
          believe that God wants me to be president, but if that doesn't happen,
          it's OK.' "

          After 9/11, the sense among his supporters that God had chosen him
          increased. "I think that God picked the right man at the right time for
          the right purpose," said popular Christian broadcaster Janet Parshall.
          Gen. William "Jerry" Boykin, who got in trouble for derogatory comments
          about Islam, argued that it must have been God who selected Bush, since
          a plurality of voters hadn't. "Why is this man in the White House? The
          majority of America did not vote for him. He's in the White House
          because God put him there for a time such as this."

          http://slate.msn.com/id/2106590/

          WS

[...]

          and IM. All on demand. Always Free.