An early stripped thread

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
      " Of course to lie is to believe one knows the truth", I can lie
      without the slightest belief. I can lie for better reason.I can lie to
      dispose a demon believer. I can lie because of any nausious smell
      eminating from any foul source. I am free to lie for many and any
      reasons apparent to myself. That is freedom and it is not fair. Bill
    • Larry
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006

        > " Of course to lie is to believe one knows the truth", I can lie
        > without the slightest belief. I can lie for better reason.I can lie to
        > dispose a demon believer. I can lie because of any nausious smell
        > eminating from any foul source. I am free to lie for many and any
        > reasons apparent to myself. That is freedom and it is not fair. Bill

        Hi Bill,

        I agree you can lie about anything for any reason but you can't lie unless you know, or at
        least believe, it's a lie. The trick in bad faith is to lie to oneself, self deception. I'm not sure
        what's going on there. Maybe just ignoring one's own lie.

        Larry
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2006
          I do not believe in anything but I can lie. It is the believeing that
          is not authentic. Once you live in that realisation you can begin to
          think for yourself, not through your faith. At least you will secure
          the authority to ruin your own life. Bill
        • two_owl_night
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 4, 2006
            This is standard Sartre. Faith is bad faith. One is free to pursue a
            group of thoughts based in such, but it isn't existentialism. To say
            that you aren't free enough to decide between two or more courses of
            action is fear of responsibility for your own life and possibly others.
            You are alone; you're free; and you choose without an objective
            morality. However you decide to alleviate this dreadful responsibility
            is yours alone. "No one said it would be easy, but it don't have to be
            this hard. It's all up to you. No one else can get you through.
            Right or wrong, win or lose. It's all up to you." - standard Earle