Re: Sartre & Beauvoir

  • two_owl_night
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 3, 2006
      Well, Trinidad, from my asylum to yours, thank you. Have a fun & safe
      holy day. Independence Day is one of the few I observe with any
      solemnity, hope and celebration. Of course, the next day I feel
      sorely ambilavent about the whole fuss.

      Mary

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Trinidad Cruz" <cruzprdb@...>

    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
        Everything that we do is already highly scripted. Even my words here are in
        an historically evolved language, itself the synergistic combination of many
        histories. The concepts (free will, authenticity) are vestigial remnants of
        European scholasticism and 17th Century materialism, etc., that are ethically and
        politically charged (nature vs nurture, for example) without us even being
        aware of it at any time. Etc.

        This doesn't mean that we cannot make choices. It only shows that our choices
        are always contextual and are therefore 'free or unfree' in a very qualified
        sense.

        In a message dated 7/3/06 9:03:35 AM, two_owl_night@... writes:

        > I agree with Wil that choice may be based upon pre-determined factors,
        > is relative, and contingent. But then why does that make one's choice
        > inauthentic or open to judgment? I agree with Dennett's compromise
        > (Freedom Evolves) that we are subject to both determinism and free
        > will, to the extent that we acknowledge it exists. Some humans are
        > adaptive. The third or thousandth time, we might get it right.
        >
        > Mary

      • two_owl_night
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2006
          This is the reason I view existentialism as a foundation or
          foundational philosophy. I see its tenets as suggestions and
          possibilities upon which we construct our lives. After reading this I
          won't choose between the pre-reflective and reflective explanation,
          which only appears to be a paradox. Does there have to be a
          divergence? We are conscious of our consciousness being conscious,
          and we observe that we are observing and are being observed by
          others. Sartre makes the former a nothingness and the latter a
          hellish mobius. Sartre & Beauvoir demonstrated with their very lives
          the difficulties of concepts such as bad faith and authenticity. If
          their search for these was a search for consistency in action, was
          that valid? Did it fail? Though they desired a certainty (an
          absolute?) obtainable through dialogue, was it a reasonable goal?
          Afterall, within a sincere dialogue, one never knows where it's
          going.

          I find his passage interesting (from the linked material):

          "As a complex concept with many possibilities, Sartre and de Beauvoir
          worked through the idea of authenticity thoroughly throughout their
          dialogue. Authenticity seems, in many interpretations, to be a trait
          only possible in the pre-reflective consciousness. But unreflected,
          spontaneous thought, cannot project itself uniformly through all
          situations, because it fails to achieve the self-consciousness which
          is necessary for projection of consciousness into the future. It is a
          difficult distinction for Sartre and de Beauvoir, and just when the
          latter option seems so clear, their letters betray such an easy
          solution. For example, in January of 1940 Sartre writes to de
          Beauvoir of his personal relationship with his philosophy as
          immediate, on a pre-reflective level, rather than reflective, as we
          have come to understand philosophy under his terms:

          "I was just writing in my notebook today that the philosophy I'm
          writing must be rather moving for others because it's personal. It
          plays a role in my life, protecting me against the melancholy, gloom,
          and sadness of the war, though by now I'm trying neither to protect
          my life after the fact with my philosophy, which would be sleazy, nor
          make my life conform to my philosophy, which would be pedantic,
          instead now philosophy and life have really become one."

          "Now, when Sartre writes this one cannot help but question how this
          could be possible, considering the reflective qualifications for the
          development of philosophy. Life exists as pure spontaneity, as
          unreflected experience. Philosophy, on the other hand, requires
          reflection upon such experience."

          wrote:

          > http://grapepress.blogspot.com/2003/11/abstract.html

          This is from the introduction and goes to the core of the
          existentialist view - i/e one must have an opinion on this or remain
          consciously inactive and ineffective:

          "In the majority of the passages in their letters, Sartre and de
          Beauvoir remain unclear with regard to whether authenticity is an
          attribute of pre-reflective consciousness or whether, on the other
          hand, authenticity is a project of reflective consciousness."

          If you can sort through this you will arrive at a point of divergence
          in existentialism ... My opinion is it must spring from pre-
          reflective consciousness because it may not ever be arrived at
          dialectically; in fact dialectically one may only ever end up with
          abstract rationalism not existentialism ... It is the ultimate
          question for the exsitentialist ...