Re: [existlist] Re: choice

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 39 , Jul 2, 2006
      Yes, we can try to ground a phenomenological ethics in a way that does not
      require an appeal to a deity or an extrinsic metaphysical foundation. Such
      attempts have demonstrated an urgency for such, but cannot actually ground the
      same. Most of us, thankfully, do not go about killing each other anyway.

      The notion of 'responsibility', of course, has many faces, and not all of
      them on the same body. We are always socially responsible, nomologically and
      otherwise. We also are, most of us, given the purview of alterity and 'empathy',
      of conceiving ourselves in the place of the Other.

      Let us also not fall into the delusion of a rational subject a la Descartes
      that is supposedly autonomous and self-revealed.

      Wil

    • mischke@pronetisp.net
      Message 39 of 39 , Jul 10, 2006
        This has been the best conversation I've read on "existlist" in a long time.

        I think I'll try to tackle "Being and Nothingness" again this summer.

        "You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice
        If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice
        You can choose from phantom fears or kindness that can kill
        I will choose a path that's clear
        I will chooose free will"

        RUSH