Re: Shield against stupidity

  • two_owl_night
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
      Tried to reply to this post several times, but was so appalled by my
      bullshit and urge to flatter you, Bill, I hit the cancel button, on
      purpose. I only wanted to tell you that your call to base was well
      expressed. Thank you, Mary

      > We seem to be approaching a consensus that says existentialism
      is
      > so individual that there is no general philosophy that can be
      > called existentialism. In action, the existentialist may be
      totally
      > the individual, but that could be said of all people ,buddist,
      > catholic headonist, zoroastrian. We label others by the systems
      they
      > espouse for motavation to action. We change systems when the
      actions
      > produced are no longer useful in life. For me existentialism has
      > not crossed into that zone of non utility. I have abandoned other
      > systems because they no longer supported me in real time
      living .
      > I think it helps to give others a handle to identify your
      general
      > orientation to living. If one tells me he is a member of
      Alkeida
      > in Iraque I would run for a weapon as he has announced he is my
      > enemy. If he says he is a catholic I would expect him to be
      > doctrinare in that mode. Should he say he is an existentialist I
      > would expect him to be thoughtful and responsible in action. In
      > real time situations that seems a generous amount to ask of others
      > and I am most happy when I can work with such a person.
      > I think there is a general philosophy that is called
      > existentialism and that it aptly describes how proponents of the
      > system can be expected to act. I think it grew to its fulfillment
      > with Sartre and Camus. That they might have regressed to less
      > useful systems at the end of life only tells me that living and
      > dying are very different activities. So as the gross errors and
      > multiple genocides of the older systems are replayed by new casts
      > of ignorant believers I remain steadfastly existential. I think it
      > is a philosophy and still the best philosophy. Bill

    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006

        "Existential philosophy is a body of thought that attempts to confront
        the purposelessness of life with some comprehension of it. It isn't a
        form of anarchism or an ideology of any kind."

        Existentialism began as a repudiation of abstract rationalism.I would
        paraphrase your statement to: Existentialism claims the meaningfulness
        of living and dying for a human individual and seeks an apprehension
        of it as a normal activity. "Comprehension" is dialectical and
        inevitably an illusion. "Purposelessness" is a matter of salt, and
        often sand.

        tc