Re: [existlist] Shield against stupidity

  • eupraxis@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
      Existential philosophy is a body of thought that attempts to confront the
      purposelessness of life with some comprehension of it. It isn't a form of
      anarchism or an ideology of any kind.

      In a message dated 7/1/06 2:21:15 PM, v.valleywestdental@... writes:

      > We seem to be approaching a consensus that says existentialism is
      > so individual that there is no general philosophy that can be
      > called existentialism. In action, the existentialist may be totally
      > the individual, but that could be said of all people ,buddist,
      > catholic headonist, zoroastrian. We label others by the systems they
      > espouse for motavation to action. We change systems when the actions
      > produced are no longer useful in life. For me existentialism has
      > not crossed into that zone of non utility. I have abandoned other
      > systems because they no longer supported me in real time living .
      > I think it helps to give others a handle to identify your general
      > orientation to living. If one tells me he is a member of Alkeida
      > in Iraque I would run for a weapon as he has announced he is my
      > enemy. If he says he is a catholic I would expect him to be
      > doctrinare in that mode. Should he say he is an existentialist I
      > would expect him to be thoughtful and responsible in action. In
      > real time situations that seems a generous amount to ask of others
      > and I am most happy when I can work with such a person.
      > I think there is a general philosophy that is called
      > existentialism and that it aptly describes how proponents of the
      > system can be expected to act. I think it grew to its fulfillment
      > with Sartre and Camus. That they might have regressed to less
      > useful systems at the end of life only tells me that living and
      > dying are very different activities. So as the gross errors and
      > multiple genocides of the older systems are replayed by new casts
      > of ignorant believers I remain steadfastly existential. I think it
      > is a philosophy and still the best philosophy. Bill

    • two_owl_night
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006
        Tried to reply to this post several times, but was so appalled by my
        bullshit and urge to flatter you, Bill, I hit the cancel button, on
        purpose. I only wanted to tell you that your call to base was well
        expressed. Thank you, Mary

        > We seem to be approaching a consensus that says existentialism
        is
        > so individual that there is no general philosophy that can be
        > called existentialism. In action, the existentialist may be
        totally
        > the individual, but that could be said of all people ,buddist,
        > catholic headonist, zoroastrian. We label others by the systems
        they
        > espouse for motavation to action. We change systems when the
        actions
        > produced are no longer useful in life. For me existentialism has
        > not crossed into that zone of non utility. I have abandoned other
        > systems because they no longer supported me in real time
        living .
        > I think it helps to give others a handle to identify your
        general
        > orientation to living. If one tells me he is a member of
        Alkeida
        > in Iraque I would run for a weapon as he has announced he is my
        > enemy. If he says he is a catholic I would expect him to be
        > doctrinare in that mode. Should he say he is an existentialist I
        > would expect him to be thoughtful and responsible in action. In
        > real time situations that seems a generous amount to ask of others
        > and I am most happy when I can work with such a person.
        > I think there is a general philosophy that is called
        > existentialism and that it aptly describes how proponents of the
        > system can be expected to act. I think it grew to its fulfillment
        > with Sartre and Camus. That they might have regressed to less
        > useful systems at the end of life only tells me that living and
        > dying are very different activities. So as the gross errors and
        > multiple genocides of the older systems are replayed by new casts
        > of ignorant believers I remain steadfastly existential. I think it
        > is a philosophy and still the best philosophy. Bill

      • Trinidad Cruz
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2006

          "Existential philosophy is a body of thought that attempts to confront
          the purposelessness of life with some comprehension of it. It isn't a
          form of anarchism or an ideology of any kind."

          Existentialism began as a repudiation of abstract rationalism.I would
          paraphrase your statement to: Existentialism claims the meaningfulness
          of living and dying for a human individual and seeks an apprehension
          of it as a normal activity. "Comprehension" is dialectical and
          inevitably an illusion. "Purposelessness" is a matter of salt, and
          often sand.

          tc