Re: Freedom of choice

  • Yana Youhana
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 2, 1999
      Dearest Gretchy,
      As usual you responded beutifully and I thank you for educating me
      sometimes!, you are absolutly right
      by saying the media did NOT (and mind you, never does) explain the true
      nature of the protest and you are also right about some people being
      involved in the riot without knowing the cause but doesn't that also gives
      us a hint about the frustration people have now these days?!!!
      Also, how could freedom of choice be different than political freedom?,
      don't you think the choices I make as an individual will effect the whole?,
      i.e. I as a very rich person will choose to buy some forest up in Oregan and
      burn it becasue I like to, wouldn't that effect people's life up there and
      when they object to it, wouldn't that become political?!, furthermore, what
      do we realy mean by "choice",this has always been a confusion among people.
      if you look at history, all revolutions started with an individual
      questioning his/her freedom of choice. Thanx again and have a great day!

      ~yana

      p.s. I appologize for some (or alot) of misspeled words.

    • Gretchyn Lenger
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 2, 1999
        Yana,

        Thanks for prompt response. Yes, I agree, people are frustrated. I think
        the social analysis of that is a bit more than I could handle. I haven't
        had a chance to read the whole thing but I think Susan Faludi did a good
        job from a focused perspective (the American male) in her new book
        "stiffed" about the disallusionment with the "American Dream", etc. But I
        think I'm digressing.

        I didn't really mean to imply that freedom of choice is different than
        politics, but maybe that the considerations are different. In terms of
        making choices in a collective, consensus reality, each choice leads to
        "counterchoices" or responses from others. I guess I think of it like a
        chess game (NOT to imply without emotion or greater significance - I use
        this as analogy only). Meaning, for whatever move one makes, that changes
        and hones in the available choices for others. Your example of the trees
        are perfect. When outrageous things like that happen, it sort of steps up
        the necessity that people on the other side of the issue make effective
        and responsive choices. I suppose I'm saying that it narrows your field of
        freedom. Instead of being able to picninc in that forest you maybe have to
        align yourself with the Sierra Club (this is just a hypothetical) and
        begin a letter writing campaign. Not that I'm naive enough to think these
        methods always work. That's part of the confusing blur of being human. I
        just mean based on one persons actions you are still free to choose but
        the consequences of that choice, the forseeable outcome, might now be
        different.

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 2, 1999
          Gretchyn,
          The Chess game dictates that each move you make, must be to your benefit to
          win. So, if the available move is not to your oponent's benefit, then we
          can conclude his/her freedom was stolen?!
          If we live life like a chess game, we will end-up
          with whole lot of wounded persons! :)
          have a great day :)

          ~yana

        • Gretchyn Lenger
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 2, 1999
            Yana,

            I suppose it depends on what your views are on spiritual evolution. Most
            people do operate in the world exactly like this, making choices for
            personal gain. Little by little, I optimistically believe more people
            begin to see themselves as part of a whole. Choices are then made with the
            greater good in mind. Ultimately, if you believe in unity consciousness,
            you realize there is no difference between people, the separation is an
            illusion. I am not free while any of my brothers are enslaved, right?
            Therefore, choices made on your own behalf are also made for the greater
            good as they are one and the same. Or, you can continually see the cynical
            side of things, feel that you are at war with everyone, see that
            everyone's statements are a personal attack and alienate everyone around
            you with an overbearing dillusion of martyrdom. Have a great day.