Belief

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 28, 2006
      Just how common is it, I wonder??

      Be-lief. Dere to mine herte. Or something like that.

      Work motorises.

      Opinions disseminate, exchange fluids, dry out.

      Some write theologies. Or pass them on.

      There are too many recipes.

      Find me an unpresumptuous chef.

      No one talks, no one to talk to, keep it coming.

      Why. Because out of chaos comes order. We saw it before.
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 28, 2006
        The world is mud: be calm.

        Be-lief. Dere to mine herte. Or something like that.

        Work motorises.

        Opinions disseminate, exchange fluids, dry out.

        Some write theologies. Or pass them on.

        There are too many recipes.

        Find me an unpresumptuous chef.

        No one talks, no one to talk to, keep it coming.

        Why. Because out of chaos comes order. We saw it before.

        and IM. All on demand. Always Free.
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 28, 2006
          Where I am, there's a good deal of concrete, tarmac. Calm is
          compatible with many material surfaces.

          > The world is mud: be calm.

          ___
          > Check out AOL.com today. Breaking news, video search, pictures,
          email
          > and IM. All on demand. Always Free.

        • shadowed_statue
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 2, 2009
            I would hope that discussion is possible, however. Only believe, and then will it happen? Everything around me is unbelievable at present, hence my desire to have a little rational conversation.

            "Newsnight" just finished. For those who don't know, it's a programme put out on weekday evenings by the BBC. One of the items featured presented the grim realities of life in Russia for immigrant Africans. So the theme was racism, and racist attacks.

            What would be a philosophical response, given the entirely stylised use of language in this kind of political debate? Maybe some sort of indirection, not quite as practised by Socrates, rather an altogether less didactic approach.

            The question is, what sort of effect does this stylised language have on British and other TV viewers, in relation to what they think, how they feel, what seems to them acceptable behaviour, and so on? That is, there is no attempt whatever to present a different view from that enshrined in secular humanism, no emphasis on act and consequence and free discussion, but only an already-framed context within which responses are invited. Join the debate, as long as you agree to abide by our unspoken rules.

            Well, clearly I can't, because it is all so baffling to me. There is no difficulty in accepting that in some sense I am so insufficiently normal that I must be careful whenever opening my mouth or writing at an internet forum, so gradually I might learn to tell the story from my own point of view. Gee, it's so hard.

            Me, I saw violence, that is, internet footage, that I believed (trusting implicitly the truth of the BBC description), of Russians attacking Africans. A debate, that would make any sense, might begin by broaching the subject of why discussion itself may arouse violent feelings. That would be to begin at the beginning. Would it not?

            On the other hand, maybe it would be better just to throw water over the mayor and cultivate one's own garden.

            Louise
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 22, 2010
              Bill,

              You wondered recently what I might have made of the Pope's visit to the UK. Faith and religion are different things, but do occur together. I still do not know quite what I think, on manifold subjects, which is probably why I do not belong at existlist any more than Dick does, for such different reasons. At any rate, huge crowds turned out to see the Pope, as they did a few years back to pay their respects to the queen mother, following her death at a grand old age. Who knows what goes on in all those individual minds? I certainly don't, I just meet with a few accounts that enter the public domain. Well, I rejoined because Dick appeared to be lamenting the fact that he was unacknowledged here. So I came to say goodbye to Dick, and now am saying goodbye to everyone else (again). Unlike Dick, I often find matter to interest me here, and it is very good to hear, as it were, familiar voices. If my own health were better, I might speak up a little myself.

              Louise
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 22, 2010
                Louise, I think it's fair to say we miss your contribution. Best wishes, Mary

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 22, 2010
                  Thanks, Mary. I could risk making more contribution if only it weren't necessary to conduct that dangerous operation ... thinking. There's a post of mine hovering in the ether still, so this is one of my more extended goodbyes :-). Louise

                  > Louise, I think it's fair to say we miss your contribution. Best wishes, Mary
                  >
                  > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Bill,
                  > >
                  > > You wondered recently what I might have made of the Pope's visit to the UK. Faith and religion are different things, but do occur together. I still do not know quite what I think, on manifold subjects, which is probably why I do not belong at existlist any more than Dick does, for such different reasons. At any rate, huge crowds turned out to see the Pope, as they did a few years back to pay their respects to the queen mother, following her death at a grand old age. Who knows what goes on in all those individual minds? I certainly don't, I just meet with a few accounts that enter the public domain. Well, I rejoined because Dick appeared to be lamenting the fact that he was unacknowledged here. So I came to say goodbye to Dick, and now am saying goodbye to everyone else (again). Unlike Dick, I often find matter to interest me here, and it is very good to hear, as it were, familiar voices. If my own health were better, I might speak up a little myself.
                  > >
                  > > Louise

                • tom
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 22, 2010
                    Louise,

                    I certainly wish you well, and you know we are your friends; and any time you want to come by and share your thoughts, we'd be glad to have you. I want to share a quote I read online today with you
                    Be kind.
                    Everyone you meet is fighting a great battle

                    Peace and best wishes,
                    Tom