Re: [existlist] Voyerger

  • Bobconkawi@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 27, 2006
      bhvdw: In his biographical study of Genet, Saint Genet, a book Sartre recommends if you want to understand his philosophy, Sartre says we all choose to be subject or object and if we make the object choice, which is the wrong one, we end up like Genet, "the Other". Are you the person others judge or are you the person who looks out at the world. You better be the one who looks at the world, because you can never know the other guy. It seems to me, as an old guy who first read Sartre in the 50's, that the notion of subject vs. object, relying on our own mind and our own perspective instead of that proposed by others, is fundamental to existential thought. My suspicion, is that the dream of invisibility is the urge to simple be the subject that views and not the object that is viewed. It is possible to simply ignore what other people think they see when they see you. I have, my whole, long life. They are wrong and you know it!