imagining

  • two_owl_night
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 27, 2006
      Ah, yes, the pause that refreshes. In "Solaris" the existential, the
      absurd, phenomenology, and alterity are examined in a scientific
      framework. What are the boundaries of science and research? One of my
      impressions of the story is that wherever we go, there we are. The
      plasma ocean on the planet acted as a mirror for the consciences of
      the men in the experiment (No Exit); and the repeated "resurrections"
      of the dead were actually a living hell for the survivors (Sisyphus),
      as well as for the human-like manifestations of the ocean. While
      trying to communicate with these men, the ocean reflected back to
      them only their guilt and failure.

      As for the distances we cross, one to another, and from here to
      wherever, such speculation has always ended with my amusement over
      the fact that we're all so strange enough, we can barely communicate
      now! I don't think talking/writing reflects our good faith,
      authenticity, or anything else for that matter. It's more like
      writing docu-dramas. We're only attempting to communicate, rarely
      succeeding. We see in others only the things we want to see and
      connect with, not the isolated, alienated people that we are. But on
      occasion it's sure fun trying. While atomic particles are doing their
      little square dance, our minds are spinning out fantasies.