"Imagining America"

  • Trinidad Cruz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2006
      It is becoming more obvious every day that we educated Americans have
      hit a paradigmatic wall that is the very edifice of our social system.
      To be sure, it was our once tolerant system of socialization and
      government that assured more scientific and technological progress in
      the last century than in any period in human history; but now that
      same system, falling into the same old pattern of ten thousand years
      of human history, threatens to begin the execution, torture, and
      virtual obviation of human progress once again. As priviledged
      educated human beings, as scientists, we are in every ethical sense
      our brother's keeper; yet in a very real life equation we are
      outnumbered thousands, even millions to one in some disciplines, by
      those who are absolutely our ethical charge even as they are incited
      by pitiless self-interested bullies toward action against the very
      progress in understanding and quality of life our discipline and
      ethics have only recently brought to human existence. In the past, we
      have for the greater part simply conceded to the torture, to the
      imprisonment, to the executions. This assumption upon our compassion
      has proved again and again in history to be a poignant even absurd
      error as far the course of human development. At this point, after
      such a century of hard won progress; we simply cannot concede or defer
      in any way to the return of a fascist idealism however deeply held by
      an opposing majority of our human brothers. It is time for a different
      course, as we cannot afford the loss of a bright human future once
      again to the horrific delusion of global sectarian religious conflict
      – a course assured to us by the pandering racist weathy elite that now
      infatuate the idealistic people of our nation with fear and hatred. It
      is clear that we must make the small but potentially very significant
      revolution we are capable of; or submit once again to an unethical,
      ineffective, and horrifically, in human consequences, idealistic
      position. To remain, to be complacent, is to risk the personal earning
      and owning of the name "Nazi" as it is brutally and surely spelled out
      onto the future of American science by lesser undisciplined men. I
      suggest; that in scientific terms, the third world could in a single
      day be made into the first world. Pack a bag. It is the right thing to
      do. We cannot afford to step back.

      Trinidad