Forums on the Primer

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2006
      I would like to see more activity on the Existential Primer Forums. The
      forums are hosted directly on my server, which gives me a bit more
      control over how they function. The forums are intended to be a bit
      more of the traditional "academic" discussion, but I know that it
      seldom remains that way online without active moderation.

      At least consider the forums as a supplement to the mailing list.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.

    • Trinidad Cruz
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2006
        CSW,

        Sorry I've misplaced my login for Inklings, but of course Gump is a
        movie of existential themes. On the surface Gump is a recent American
        Siddhartha, but because he is a simpleton he is even moreso the
        existentialist. He acts within the limitations of what seems to be for
        him and stumbles through modern American history without any personal
        ideology other than what he is. "I'm not a smart man." Who is?
        Definitely not the existentialist. The main theme of the movie is the
        positivistic view of absurd action. If anything it seems to be
        disappointed that Bobby Seal became a chicken joint operator, while
        encouraging the new existentialist, the naïve viewer to act. "You
        never know what you're gonna get." The end of the running scene in
        monument valley, is universally American: tied to Ford and Wayne
        westerns, and the last scene of "Electraglide in Blue." There is no
        escape from death even for the moral or ethical man (Blake's
        character), and in fact that death and the life before it are likely
        to be absurd in the end. The movie is a take on modern American
        existentialism. The movie does not question the existence of ideology
        or even teleology (religion is absurd in it as well Black
        Christianity) but rather defies that they have any importance
        whatsoever to the individual in action. In fact it argues that the
        action of the simplest individuals among us has lasting effect on the
        ebb and flow of civilization, but that in the end it is the absurd
        interaction between the individual's actions and civilization that
        effects the quality of life for the American individual. A child is
        born. Smarter than me. Is that better for him? For us? Love in the
        movie is even absurd. One could write a book on the existentialist
        themes in this film. The most important of course is that active
        existentialism is positive though absurd and has no academic
        prerequisite.I have to go to work. No time for a book now, but it
        amazes me that anyone could take this movie as not having
        existentialist themes.

        Trinidad