green issues

  • two_owl_night
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2006
      Thanks, Bill. From bread baskets to fuel pumps, who saw it coming?
      Where is Gaylord Nelson when we need him? A few months ago I came
      across an interesting political movement which leaves me with some
      hope. It's gonna take grass roots and green elephants to even begin
      to reach that fine line of congruance which will be essential for our
      survival. Otherwise, we'll all be paying $10 for a gallon of drinking
      water. Mary

      http://www.rep.org/index.html

      <The third matter of business has to do with pending legislation
      concerning a clean water initiative that is of growing concern as
      we begin to gear up for greater land use in the production of
      biodiesel and ethanol. There is even talk of tyling and planting
      the bar ditches to gain more productive land. Water ecology is in
      great jeopardy here already and more extensive ag land use can
      hardly make things better. Big ethanol plants are being built and
      extensive livestock feeding is a by product of the ethanol
      production. More cattle means more run off in our already polluted
      waters. The ag lobby will have many allies as people demand cheap
      fuel. The renewability of ethanol is perhaps its greatest feature
      but overstressing the ecosystem can degrade and deminish this
      feature. We all have some stake in this matter as we walk a thin
      line that will allow us to drive to work and still drink the water.
      Here science, business and land use ethics will need meet at some
      fine point of congruance. I hope the debate gets to a wide public
      domain and is not limited to the Iowa legislature. There is far too
      much special interest in that body to be trusted with reasonable
      stewardship.>