Three contemporary situations

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2006
      Mary`s fine post concerning Darwin and existentialism adds to her
      continuance of well chosen documentation of contemporary ideas.
      Existentialism is not opposed by science unless some personal
      prejudice is allowed to control the rational melding of ideas.
      Religion is often at the base of such rancor and that brings me to
      the next newsworthy item I wish to report.
      A district judge here in Iowa has just handed down a ruling that a
      religion based prison rehabilitation program is unconstatutional.
      The judge reasons that the coercion of prisioners to practise bible
      studies amounts to state sponsership of religion. Unfortunately many
      of the convicts liked the program as it gave them something to do
      while serving out their time. The religous counselors liked it
      because it gave them a true captive audiance and a paycheck. In
      bible belt Iowa many will not be happy with this ruling and an
      appeal is pending. I find first amendment issues are usually germain
      to discussions here and I will report on the outcome of this
      controversy.
      The third matter of business has to do with pending legislation
      concerning a clean water initiative that is of growing concern as
      we begin to gear up for greater land use in the production of
      biodiesel and ethanol. There is even talk of tyling and planting
      the bar ditches to gain more productive land. Water ecology is in
      great jeopardy here already and more extensive ag land use can
      hardly make things better. Big ethanol plants are being built and
      extensive livestock feeding is a by product of the ethanol
      production. More cattle means more run off in our already polluted
      waters. The ag lobby will have many allies as people demand cheap
      fuel. The renewability of ethanol is perhaps its greatest feature
      but overstressing the ecosystem can degrade and deminish this
      feature. We all have some stake in this matter as we walk a thin
      line that will allow us to drive to work and still drink the water.
      Here science, business and land use ethics will need meet at some
      fine point of congruance. I hope the debate gets to a wide public
      domain and is not limited to the Iowa legislature. There is far too
      much special interest in that body to be trusted with reasonable
      stewardship.
      So as Mary so eloquently reminded us, existentialism is about
      survival and good choices. I think we should ponder such matters and
      therefore have posted concerning these varied but connected
      matters. Bill