adaptable philosophy

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2006
      ~ If a couple thousand years are not suddenly sliced away for men and
      this bridge demolished in order to teach men to begin with the
      problems of actual life and existence [Tilvaerelse*], everything is
      unhinged. We confuse the existential [existentielle*] problem itself
      with its reflex in the consciousness of all the generations of the
      learned. The main issue in regard to every existential
      [existentielt*] problem is its significance to me; after that I can
      see whether or not I am fit to discuss it learnedly. ~

      [not dated, 1846]

      Soren Kierkegaard. Journals & Papers, Vol.1 [p453],
      tr. Hong & Hong, Indiana U.P. 1967.