Re: Can you still be consider an Existentialist if....

  • dasein512
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 2, 2006
      So I am an existentialist!!!

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night" <two_owl_night@...>
      wrote:

      > First, packaged and pre-cooked Existentialism is not what we offer
      > here, so we're not obliged to respond. And secondly, you must be an
      > existentialist for the Existentialist Code to apply, and you're not.
      > And thirdly, the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than
      > absolutes. Welcome aboard the ghost ship, "No Exit", Mr.
      > Gerald.[1]
      >
      > In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "dasein512" <gghumanistic@> wrote:
      >
      > <You are not sure if you believe in "existence precedes essence" I
      > think that there is some biology/genetics that makes the person who he
      > is, and I'm not saying height, weight, etc. That our personalities are
      > shaped partly by biology. Am I still an existentialist? Thanks for
      > the insight. Gerald>
      >
      > You bet your ducats! Some angst is alleviated by knowledge of
      > biology, specifically genetics, but not all. We can compromise and
      > say that our existence is a ship, designed according to blueprint,
      > though not perfectly. It will be outfitted, though not for every
      > possible contingency. The ship is launched and experiences the
      > vicissitudes of storms, doldrums, and halcyon seas. So then, living
      > out our lives in all these situations forms our essence, which as
      > Trinidad points out can never be a whole. Sartre and Beauvoir were
      > sailing the trades, so to speak. But they didn't comprehend
      > shipbuilding or meteorology. Our own Captain William adeptly
      > navigates for us under these sidereal realities.
      >
      > You see, it was not by accident that ships were once named for women,
      > though it was bad luck to have them onboard. Even the best helmsman,
      > for all his scientific knowledge, must bring the ship back to safe
      > harbor from time to time. And like the fat lady sang, "You've gotta
      > make your own kind of music, sing your own special song, make your
      > own kind of music, even if nobody else sings along."
      >
      > Mary
      >
      > [1]"First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations nor
      > our agreement, so I must do nothin'. And secondly, you must be a
      > pirate for the Pirate's Code to apply, and you're not. And thirdly,
      > the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.
      > Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner," says Barbossa" -
      > Pirates of the Caribbean
      >

      > --- >

    • two_owl_night
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3, 2006
        Here is the "Existentialism and Darwinism" section of a 4-page/part
        article. "Existentialist Aesthetics" is also a topic near and dear to
        my heart.

        Existentialism and Darwinism by Austin Cline

        "Initially, at least, there wouldn't appear to be any particular
        connection between Charles Darwin's theory of evolution and
        existentialist philosophy — but first impressions can be deceiving.
        As a matter of fact, there are important connections between the two.
        This is not to say that there is any sort of causal relationship
        because existentialism didn't inspire evolution and evolutionary
        theory didn't help produce existentialism. The relationship between
        the two is more a matter of spheres of concern and interest.

        Evolutionary theory is, obviously enough, about life - and so is
        existentialism. Indeed, existentialists typically try to distinguish
        their work from that of other philosophers by emphasizing the fact
        that they are concerned first and foremost with how a person is to
        live in today's world. More than that, however, existentialism is
        about the struggle to live. This, you may already know, is also the
        central theme of Darwin's works.

        Of course, for Darwin the "struggle to live" was a biological issue
        dealing with how members of different species compete for resources
        and strive to reproduce. Existentialists, however, have found the
        similarity between this biological matter and their own philosophical
        work to be very interesting. To a degree, it has provided a certain
        level of scientific backing to their insistence that the focus on how
        people live is of the utmost importance.

        A further connection between Darwin's work and existentialism is the
        manner in which evolutionary theory contradicts certain traditional
        assumptions about the nature of life. In the past, people assumed
        that each species was created with a fixed nature. Each was assumed
        to behave in a fixed and immutable way because that was how God
        created them and how they had always been since the beginning of
        time.

        Darwin rejected this, arguing in his evolutionary theory that species
        actually change over time. In the struggle to survive, only those
        species which are best adapted to their environments survive while
        the others die. Through the ages, this forces species to change both
        their physical and behavioral characeristics in order to become
        better adapted. Thus, there is no "fixed nature" aside, perhaps, from
        the principle of change and survival.

        Obviously this is quite compatible with existentialist philosophy.
        Most existentialists have argued that we aren't born with a fixed
        human nature which forces us to act in certain ways and prevents us
        from acting in other ways. Instead, what we usually see as
        our "natures" is actually a product of our choices — sometimes even
        choices we don't realize we are making.

        Thus, Darwinian evolution provides some scientific credibility in
        more than one way to the existentialist position that humans make
        themselves and remake themselves during their struggle to survive in
        their day-to-day lives. Not all existentialists are
        necessarily "staunch Darwinians," however. Although it would be a
        rare existentialist who rejected the truth of evolutionary theory,
        there are those who don't regard it as having any real bearing on
        their philosophy."

        http://atheism.about.com/od/existentialism/a/philosophies.htm

        Mary
        wrote:

        > So I am an existentialist!!! <
      • hermanbtriplegood
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 4, 2006
          Mister (Miss?) Dasein:

          In all probability, the most appropriate manner in which to try and
          fit me into your picture of what goes on here is to imagine a great
          big elephant in the room that everybody in the room is doing their
          level best to try and ignore. I am the gadfly here, often
          persistently irritating, sometimes out of element, perhaps a freak of
          nature, a reason lover, a rationalist and moralist, in the midst of a
          bunch of existential anarchists. I keep saying, but being reasonable
          is existential too! Besides, since the very basis of existentialism
          is no-rules, I feel quite justified in inviting myself to be here in
          my capacity as a glaring instance of the breaking of the no-rules
          rule.

          Welcome aboard.

          Hb3g

          wrote:

          > So I am an existentialist!!!
          >

          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night" <two_owl_night@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > First, packaged and pre-cooked Existentialism is not what we
          offer
          > > here, so we're not obliged to respond. And secondly, you must be
          an
          > > existentialist for the Existentialist Code to apply, and you're
          not.
          > > And thirdly, the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than
          > > absolutes. Welcome aboard the ghost ship, "No Exit", Mr.
          > > Gerald.[1]
          > >
          > > In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "dasein512" <gghumanistic@> wrote:
          > >
          > > <You are not sure if you believe in "existence precedes essence" I
          > > think that there is some biology/genetics that makes the person
          who he
          > > is, and I'm not saying height, weight, etc. That our
          personalities are
          > > shaped partly by biology. Am I still an existentialist? Thanks
          for
          > > the insight. Gerald>
          > >
          > > You bet your ducats! Some angst is alleviated by knowledge of
          > > biology, specifically genetics, but not all. We can compromise
          and
          > > say that our existence is a ship, designed according to
          blueprint,
          > > though not perfectly. It will be outfitted, though not for every
          > > possible contingency. The ship is launched and experiences the
          > > vicissitudes of storms, doldrums, and halcyon seas. So then,
          living
          > > out our lives in all these situations forms our essence, which as
          > > Trinidad points out can never be a whole. Sartre and Beauvoir
          were
          > > sailing the trades, so to speak. But they didn't comprehend
          > > shipbuilding or meteorology. Our own Captain William adeptly
          > > navigates for us under these sidereal realities.
          > >
          > > You see, it was not by accident that ships were once named for
          women,
          > > though it was bad luck to have them onboard. Even the best
          helmsman,
          > > for all his scientific knowledge, must bring the ship back to
          safe
          > > harbor from time to time. And like the fat lady sang, "You've
          gotta
          > > make your own kind of music, sing your own special song, make
          your
          > > own kind of music, even if nobody else sings along."
          > >
          > > Mary
          > >
          > > [1]"First, your return to shore was not part of our negotiations
          nor
          > > our agreement, so I must do nothin'. And secondly, you must be a
          > > pirate for the Pirate's Code to apply, and you're not. And
          thirdly,
          > > the Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.
          > > Welcome aboard the Black Pearl, Miss Turner," says Barbossa" -
          > > Pirates of the Caribbean
          > >

          > > --- >

        • dasein512
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 4, 2006
            I am in the middle, I believe in the power of choices, I believe in
            the concept of 'bad faith', inauthentic vs authentic, but I also
            believe biology has a powerful influence as well, not just in how tall
            I am, but in predispositions or temperment, but then existenialism
            comes in at this point and we have to choose. I believe that we do
            have some sort of essence, or more appropriately some basic energy
            behind us. I am more inclined towards religious or spiritual
            existentialism, but have some very secular/atheist beliefs as well. I
            have a hard time philosophically fitting in one neat box.

            Gerald
          • Bobconkawi@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 4, 2006
              Gerald--Neither Camus nor Sartre felt they fit neatly into an existentialist box, eider. Camus was shocked when he met and talked to Sartre for the first time at just how much they disagreed. Being an existentialist means thinking for yourself, so you are bound to think a little differently from other existentialists. --bob

              I am in the middle, I believe in the power of choices, I believe in
              the concept of 'bad faith', inauthentic vs authentic, but I also
              believe biology has a powerful influence as well, not just in how tall
              I am, but in predispositions or temperment, but then existenialism
              comes in at this point and we have to choose. I believe that we do
              have some sort of essence, or more appropriately some basic energy
              behind us. I am more inclined towards religious or spiritual
              existentialism, but have some very secular/atheist beliefs as well. I
              have a hard time philosophically fitting in one neat box.

              Gerald

              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • dasein512
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 4, 2006
                Thank you for your kind comments. I know I come off a little
                naive....but I guess I am always looking for those more wise than I. I
                came to existentialism through readings of Fromm, May, Rogers, and
                then met Buber, Camus. I am still searching but find fertile ground in
                existentialism, where I am rooted firmly, along with humanism, etc.

                Gerald
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2006
                  Herman, I am not the least offended by your opinions. Don't worry
                  about Bill - he just does gruff better than anyone else, and always
                  to good purpose. If you look at what you wrote below, however,
                  there's strong implication that many of us are clumped together in
                  your mind, in that phrase, 'bunch of existential anarchists'. I am
                  not an anarchist, nor have I ever met an individual who truly fitted
                  that description. For many, claim to such an ethos might provide
                  convenient mask, behind which to conduct hedonistic strategies, with
                  varying degrees of conscious intent. Existlist does attract
                  thinking individuals, fact which ensures that self-serving anarchism
                  and heedless hedonism alike may be rigorously questioned here.
                  Those who don't like the heat tend to leave the kitchen fairly
                  promptly. If there is a big elephant in here, I haven't noticed
                  yet. Your own rational powers seem far too substantive to bear the
                  metaphor of gadfly, which famously Socrates took upon himself.
                  Hadn't realised, before, that it's quite a Homeric image. In the
                  Iliad, for instance, it is no disgrace for a warrior to be compared
                  with an insect, any more than with a mountain lion or a wolf. Life
                  persists, in great specificity. Poets notice this. Louise

                  --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "hermanbtriplegood" <hb3g@...>