The Anarchist Cookbook

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
      Chris, I have been around guns all my life and they scare me more
      and more. That may be a factor of age but is also because I have a
      good understanding of what the various sorts of weapons can do. I
      know you are approaching your decision from a defensive perspective.
      If you affirm your right to keep and bear I wholly suggest you
      take a practical arms course. This is not the study the local
      sheriff sponsers. His course has merit from a legalistic view but
      you may find it designed more to protect the officer than you and
      your family. The practical shooters will teach you how to shoot and
      kill an adversary. They will teach you how to pick a weapon or
      weapons that grant the greatest security with the least danger to
      you and your family.
      The entire matter of guns in a house with children completely
      unnerves me. Devising a way to deploy a weapon without giving your
      children and their friends access is a complicated situation. If it
      is secure from the kids it is probably to secure to be of any good
      in a lethal situation. My kids are gone and many of my guns are
      loaded and accessable. I actually agree with Mary in her refusal to
      have a gun in a house with children. It is a tough call.
      Last week an evil looking bastard came to my door. I have a door
      camera and he seemed to be interested in the lock and security
      system. I confronted him from behind the screen door with a pistol
      visable on my belt. I further doubted his intentions when he
      immediately walked away when he saw I was armed.
      I think the whole business of weapons is more about attitude than
      weaponry. If you and your surroundings appear stalwart and resolute
      in defense the aggressor may just pick an easier target. The gun is
      the last, terrible resort and though I have often produced one I
      have never had need to shoot anyone.
      Alas I have strayed far from the topic of anarchy. I know my gun
      usage has deferred anarchy rather than produced it. The true
      anarcist does not seem to think himself a criminal. From a
      philosophical perspective what pushes a theoretical anarcist to
      an action anarcist ? With a semiauto AK available for app
      twohundred dollars the ability to cross the line seems abundant. The
      notion of a weapons confrontation with that kind of firepower is
      appalling. Those rounds will penetrate wood frame walls. With a
      thirty round magasine you can chop down a house. Then again could
      you loose similar firepower in a neighboorhood where women and
      children sleep and play.
      So I view anarchy as a possibility more than as a debating topic.
      It could all be most jovial were it not for the terrible prices
      paid if complacent. Bill
    • Chris Macchione
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2006
        Bill, wanting to have children in the future, your
        advice is very well received.
        Anarchist seems to want to throw the baby out with the
        bath water so to speak. When I was down in New Orleans
        right after Katrina, that area was definitely in a
        state of Anarchy, of course the media never touched
        too much on that as far as we could tell down there.
        People as a whole seem to have resorted back to their
        tribal instincts, secluding themselves off from
        outsiders, cooperative security of able individuals to
        patrol their areas, wary of the unknown, and anger at
        a system that failed them. They did show great
        appreciation for our efforts to assist in
        re-establishing a sense of safety and security.
        Bringing need supplies, medical attention, funds, and
        govt/private resources to aid in their relief and
        recovery.
        Also there were many individuals whom saw this as a
        time of free enterprise w/o restrictions, including
        local parish officials, I greatly appreciate the US
        military and govt agencies who re-acquired our relief
        supplies from these individuals to be dispersed
        according to our organization's guidelines. I also
        appreciate their continued pursuit and prosecution of
        those individuals who stole, mislead, and committed
        fraud in such a volatile environment. Not that I
        didn't understand why certain groups attempted to
        horde and commandeer supplies and equipment. Fear of
        being left out or forgotten can cause drastic
        measures. The stress level in an anarchic environment
        is incredible, you can't relax, you can't trust those
        whom you don't know. In a sense, it returns us back to
        our "beast" nature. Fear of the unknown, fear of what
        you have will not be there tomorrow, and fear that
        what and whom you hold of value can be taken away or
        hurt.
        Great topic, please add more.

        http://mail.yahoo.com