playing with ideas

  • two_owl_night
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      Trinidad,

      Please pardon my poor offering this morning (bitchin' headache) but I
      don't want to drop this thread just yet. I've found it ironic that a
      few of my new friends are somewhat appalled with my interest in
      anarchism as philosophy; that it's too cynical and anti-social. Their
      youthful hope now inspires me daily to retain some of my ideals, and
      temper them with a pragmatic sense of survival.

      With the internet and phone companies handing over records to our
      government, and satellites reaping key words, I too am angry about
      these erosions; but if we can't discuss ideas in an open forum, then
      it's the government that has become too radical and dangerous.

      I'm attracted to anarchism's utopia and find it less suffocating than
      most of the philosophy offered in this discussion group. Armand's
      kinder, gentler modification seems sensible to me, not at all violent
      which is actually an old stereotype. Modern anarchists are not bomb
      throwing communists. In fact, many consider themselves libertarians.

      There's been much chatter and googling of the film "Anarchism in
      America" shown recently on the Documentary Channel. Politically
      intriguing is Karl Hess, and even more suprising, articles about the
      new rebel alliance, comprised of far left and far right wingers, who
      are so concerned about attacks on the Constitution under the neo-con
      agenda that some of them are willing to unite, rebel and confront.

      But yes, you're right. I'm more of a "velvet" anarchist. Here are but
      a few links. Mary

      http://fare.tunes.org/books/Hess/from_far_right_to_far_left.html
      http://www.antiwar.com/orig/eddlem.php?articleid=8966
      http://www.psfp.com/anarchism.htm