Re: What's wrong with this proposal as a form of civilization ?

    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2006
      What's wrong with the proposal?

      Its partiality. That is, such a document evinces an understanding
      of contracts, yet is applied to a sphere - human subjectivity - in
      which contracts may not in real life be binding. The premise of
      such a proposal appears to be that civilization may be shaped
      according to concepts of law and commerce. Sadly, in the various
      worlds of the twenty-first century, a 'Renaissance man' is no
      longer feasible. The aggregated knowledge base is too vast.
      Ambition is not per se unethical, and may indeed be allied with high
      virtue. If, however, an ambitious project is applied to those whose
      own valuations - whether religious or secular - do not match with
      the valuations of the project's architects, human nature will assert
      itself. That means violence.

      I reiterate. We need philosophy. We need to keep questioning that
      which underlies what we value in life.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "two_owl_night"