justified sinner resumes

    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2006
      ~ I must describe Europe as it appeared to me before I next fell
      asleep. The Mediterranean Sea was divided into two great lakes when
      Italy became attached to a triangular plain which jutted out from the
      north African coast. The Strait of Gibraltar was closed, and a broad
      valley united Spain with Morocco. Corsica and Sardinia formed a
      promontory when the Gulf of Genoa vanished, and the Balearic Isles
      were mountains on a finger of land attached to western Spain. The
      Baltic Sea became a shrunken inland lake, the English Channel and the
      North Sea had disappeared. The British Isles were then joined to the
      Continent, and the plains which enclosed them extended far westward
      beyond Land's End, the western coast-line of Ireland and that of the
      Scottish Hebrides, and stretched north-eastward beyond the Shetland
      Isles to the coast of Norway. A "land-bridge", which shrank to a
      narrow neck 100 miles north-west of Cape Wrath, united Scotland and
      Iceland, and narrowed again ere it met the extended coast of Greenland.
      The Rivers Elbe and Rhine drained the broad valley which had been the
      North Sea, and were united about 150 miles eastward from the
      Aberdeenshire coast after the Rhine had received the waters of the
      Forth and Tay. The Conon poured through the valley which had been the
      Moray Firth, and, sweeping eastward past the Orkney and Shetland
      Islands, entered the sea 20 miles westward from the mouth of the
      Elbe. The Seine cut through the valley of the English Channel, and
      the Severn united, 100 miles westward from Land's End, with a river
      flowing from a long narrow loch which divided Ireland from Scotland,
      and extended southward to Carnsore Point in Wexford.
      "Over the Eur-African land-bridges came many of the great animals
      which I saw during the first period of the Pleistocene Age. Attracted
      by the genial temperature, even the rhinoceros came north, and with
      the sabre-toothed tiger prowled on the upland plains of England, where
      I saw also the giant sloth, the hippopotamos, the mastodon, the triple-
      toed horse, great tortoises, the giant fallow deer, the well-armoured
      glyptodon[1], as big as an ox, and numerous great snakes and nimble
      apes.
      "For a long period I searched in vain for traces of mankind, but at
      length I discovered a tribe of most primitive savages at Mauer, on the
      banks of the River Neckar, then very broad and deep, near where
      Heidelberg now stands. They hunted down the horse and the elk, and
      dreaded greatly the rhinoceros and the cave-lion. Their homes were
      among the branches of high trees. In aspect they were extremely
      repulsive: they had low, sharply-retreating foreheads, squat noses,
      big bulging mouths, and chinless jaws[2]. I never saw these savages
      except in this First Interglacial Period. ~

      [1] Resembling the armadillo.
      [2] The jaw-bone of the earliest European was found in a Mauer sand-
      pit, 78 feet from the surface. Solias holds that this primitive
      German belonged to none of the existing races of mankind. The jaw-
      bone has simian characteristics.

      ... see previous post for source.