Testing

    Message 1 of 17 , May 6, 2006
      It seems no one noticed the breach of continuity. Testing testing. I
      will not waste my time posting to a blank sight.Since my last posts
      mentioned the CIA perhaps the moderator or Yahoo groups might answer
      where all that effort and and dead time went. Please advise. Bill
    • two_owl_night
      Message 2 of 17 , May 6, 2006
        Bill, I noticed. Similar thoughts ran through my mind. Even sent a
        message to Wyatt. I lost a bunch of posts too. Hence, my do we exist
        without existlist post. I finally gave up and chose a new screen name.

        > It seems no one noticed the breach of continuity. Testing testing.
        > will not waste my time posting to a blank sight.Since my last posts
        > mentioned the CIA perhaps the moderator or Yahoo groups might
        answer
        > where all that effort and and dead time went. Please advise. Bill

      • Susan Schnelbach
        Message 3 of 17 , May 6, 2006
          I'm not sure I understand the question. What's the problem? Are you
          referring to those few days with very few posts? If anyone did post
          things in the last few days that didn't make it to the group, either
          your ISP or Yahoo may have had a few problems. I have noticed a
          recent increase in the spam sent to the list-owner, though.

          Yours is the first note about posting problems. Anyone else notice
          things not posting to the group?

          Susan

          P.S. Don't know what the CIA would have to do with anything...

          On May 6, 2006, at 4:20 PM, bhvwd wrote:

          > It seems no one noticed the breach of continuity. Testing testing. I
          > will not waste my time posting to a blank sight.Since my last posts
          > mentioned the CIA perhaps the moderator or Yahoo groups might answer
          > where all that effort and and dead time went. Please advise. Bill

          > ~-->
          > Get to your groups with one click. Know instantly when new email
          > arrives
          > http://us.click.yahoo.com/.7bhrC/MGxNAA/yQLSAA/ACsqlB/TM

        • Susan Schnelbach
          Message 4 of 17 , May 6, 2006
            I think Yahoo may be having a few problems. I'll check the accounts
            and see if any of you are 'bouncing' or something. Thanks for letting
            us know there was a problem. I just assumed the decrease in traffic
            these last few days was that you all were busy with other things.

            On May 6, 2006, at 6:43 PM, two_owl_night wrote:

            > Bill, I noticed. Similar thoughts ran through my mind. Even sent a
            > message to Wyatt. I lost a bunch of posts too. Hence, my do we exist
            > without existlist post. I finally gave up and chose a new screen name.
            > Mary
            >
            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> It seems no one noticed the breach of continuity. Testing testing.
            >> will not waste my time posting to a blank sight.Since my last posts
            >> mentioned the CIA perhaps the moderator or Yahoo groups might
            > answer
            >> where all that effort and and dead time went. Please advise. Bill

            > ~-->
            > Protect your PC from spy ware with award winning anti spy
            > technology. It's free.
            > http://us.click.yahoo.com/97bhrC/LGxNAA/yQLSAA/ACsqlB/TM

          • Susan Schnelbach
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 6, 2007
              Testing. Is anyone getting messages? Or is it just quiet out there
              right now?

              - Susan

            • eupraxis@aol.com
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 6, 2007
                I haven't received anything in a while.

                WS

                Testing. Is anyone getting messages? Or is it just quiet out
                there
                right now?

                - Susan

                from AOL at AOL.com.
                =0
              • Asbjørn Clemmensen
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 7, 2007
                  Same here -- it's been *extremely* quiet for a couple of days.

                  - Asbjørn

                  On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:16:27PM -0500, eupraxis@... wrote:
                  > I haven't received anything in a while.
                  >
                  > WS

                • Albert
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in jackets; others more fortunate have cut their wrists in an attempt to "make it all end" and gone on to existlist hell.

                    Albert.
                    ...refusing to mention any names... :-)

                    Same here -- it's been *extremely* quiet for a couple of days.

                    - Asbjørn

                    On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 10:16:27PM -0500, eupraxis@... wrote:
                    > I haven't received anything in a while.
                    >
                    > WS

                  • Exist List Moderator
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
                      On Mar 07, 2007, at 8:57, Albert wrote:

                      > Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in
                      > jackets....

                      Paranoia? On this list?

                      - C. S. Wyatt
                      that I shall be.
                    • Susan Schnelbach
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 8, 2007
                        I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
                        long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago and
                        stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.

                        So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?

                        - Susan

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 9, 2007
                          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:

                          > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
                          > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
                          and
                          > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
                          >
                          > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
                          >
                          > - Susan
                          >

                          > On Mar 8, 2007, at 3:17 PM, Exist List Moderator wrote:
                          >
                          > > On Mar 07, 2007, at 8:57, Albert wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Some of our more paranoid of friends have been carried away in
                          > > > jackets....
                          > >
                          > > Paranoia? On this list?
                          > >
                          > > - C. S. Wyatt
                          > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
                          all
                          > > that I shall be.
                          > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
                          > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
                          > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
                          great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
                          site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
                          Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
                          having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
                          him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
                          music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
                          wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
                          think SF has saved us. Bill

                        • Susan Schnelbach
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
                            Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
                            be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?

                            - Susan

                            On Mar 9, 2007, at 11:25 AM, bhvwd wrote:

                            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Susan Schnelbach <susan@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I just wanted to check. It's rare that it is this quiet for this
                            > > long. :) I know CSW and I had a bouncing problem a few weeks ago
                            > and
                            > > stopped getting Yahoo Groups mail.
                            > >
                            > > So, is anyone reading anything interesting lately?
                            > >
                            > > - Susan

                            > > > Paranoia? On this list?
                            > > >
                            > > > - C. S. Wyatt
                            > > > I am what I am at this moment, not what I was and certainly not
                            > all
                            > > > that I shall be.
                            > > > http://www.tameri.com - Tameri Guide for Writers
                            > > > http://www.tameri.com/csw/exist - The Existential Primer
                            > > >I am in San Francisco. We couldnt stand the cold any more. Had a
                            > great conversation with a Berkely philosophy student, he lurks our
                            > site and thinks we are quite progressive. He especially likes
                            > Trinidad and considers him more "normal" than the rest of us. He is
                            > having a hard time with the idea of no meaning to life. I assured
                            > him it can be surrmounted if you practise not giving a shit. The
                            > music will soon start in the courtyard and then we will have the
                            > wine tasting party. It is 63 and sunny, Cilda and I are better. I
                            > think SF has saved us. Bill

                          • Aija Veldre Beldavs
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 11, 2007
                              so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport? why
                              not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
                              or whatever one is capable of ?

                              aija
                              > Why does life have to have a meaning? A bigger purpose? Can't it just
                              > be enough that we're here, alive, and trying to enjoy and/or survive?
                              >
                              > - Susan
                            • Trinidad Cruz
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 12, 2007
                                --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Aija Veldre Beldavs <beldavsa@...>
                                wrote:

                                "so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
                                why not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair
                                racing or whatever one is capable of ?"

                                aija

                                What is scholarship? What is the study of something? What is a
                                disciplined method of thinking? Why learn to read and write?
                                Literature may be taken in only two ways by a human being: either as a
                                cargo religion (i/e John Frum etc.), you know, books have (ships and
                                planes deliver) answers that improve your human experience; or as the
                                record of the war against free men. Whatever you write will fall
                                within those two orders of reading. The real question is: can
                                solidarity with one lead to solidarity with the other? Can scholarship
                                elevate the "cargo" faithful to freedom? Or will the solidarity of the
                                dispossessed leave the home of the free man a wasteland in a nuclear test?

                                "she's a refugee,
                                she's gonna come to live in …"

                                tc
                              • Exist List Moderator
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 13, 2007
                                  On Mar 11, 2007, at 11:24, Aija Veldre Beldavs wrote:

                                  > so what's the point of scholarship other than a specialized sport?
                                  > why
                                  > not just go hiking, swimming, mountain climbing, handicap chair racing
                                  > or whatever one is capable of ?

                                  Last week Ed Schiappa (sp?) spoke to a seminar I'm attending. Ed is a
                                  "pragmatist" and colleague of Cornell West and Richard Rorty. To be
                                  honest, reading Ed's book on Defining Reality was a challenge, but
                                  worth the effort -- he critiques how laws are written and interpreted
                                  and why we even have laws.

                                  My theory is we have laws because we assume other people are stupid
                                  and/or selfish and need to be restrained from harming the "rest of
                                  us" who must be smarter. You would think some laws cover things
                                  amazingly obvious to people, but apparently not. After all, if people
                                  thought Kant or the Golden Rule was right, we wouldn't need laws
                                  against theft or murder.

                                  Anyway, one of the things Ed said, much to the chagrin of the
                                  professor leading the seminar:

                                  "Academics in the humanities make a career of splitting hairs and
                                  arguing about definitions. Entire careers are built on debating
                                  meanings, not doing anything serious. I mean, come on, if I had to
                                  live on a farm and work, I wouldn't be arguing that the definition of
                                  'rape' is cultural and 'truth' is relative."

                                  Ed said you become an academic because you can. It's a choice to sit
                                  around thinking, while other people grow the food, cure disease,
                                  fight crime, and protect the ivory towers from invaders. Then, we
                                  spend our time critiquing how these workers do their jobs.

                                  At least he's honest. He's also a liberal activist, very active in
                                  Minnesota.

                                  Why am I in academics? Because I enjoy it. If I didn't enjoy it, I'd
                                  have to get a "real job" and create something, other than strings of
                                  words and "deep thoughts" on nothing at all.

                                  - C. S. Wyatt
                                  that I shall be.