Re: a story of corruption

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2006
      its more that, at present, i might offer indications of what stands
      in the way of explanation. from ordinary social point of view, some
      of this might sound like excuses, just as Nietzsche's claims to
      cleverness and wisdom (in "Ecce Homo") are readily interpreted by
      unsympathetic critics as signs of mania or conceit. there has to be
      willingness to suspend disbelief, perhaps, for certain kinds of
      progress, without, however, suspending capacity for rigorous
      reasoned argument. firstly, i have enough Greek to be proficient in
      using lexicons, commentaries, and translations, and to read prose
      and some verse passably, at sight. however, i do not readily
      understand what i read without careful subsequent study. various
      practical difficulties and limitations of health impede continuity.
      do not like writing this, yet seems preferable to omitting what is
      simply and persistently true. i feel theres so much to say, so much
      to learn, from other contributors, from books, broadcasting outlets,
      etc, yet how tough it proves, to find permissions, from ones own
      existence, and the surrounding circumstance that makes bodily life
      possible. the struggle to earn and bestow respect, without falsity -
      for i do not consider myself obligated to feel respect just on basis
      of species-membership - has taken on parodic proportions, in UK
      where i live ... unless what i see around me is some local
      aberration. nevertheless, existlist loses itself regularly this
      way, in my experience. well, my first point shaded directly into my
      second. really i am more convinced than ever that contact with
      certain Greek texts has made an absolute difference to my own
      existence. it seems that my sense of having tentative attempts at
      context-provision and argument, rather roundly dismissed, over long
      period, has left me exhausted, in my will. since i approach the
      ancient Greeks from a Nietzschean perspective, this is temporarily
      fatal to my powers of discourse. so knowing Greek in the chaotic
      conditions of modern life leaves me tired, though happy. pessimism
      is the only creed i trust, and the logos prevents despair. all i
      can come up with for now.

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Cunningham