The metal is the kettle

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 27, 2006
      Mary , I am sure those cannons could have been repaired without
      being recast. I know the union army had the capability to refurbish
      cannon. I think the Navy had a similar ability. Bombardment is an
      early tactic of war and muzzle loader cannon could turn the tide in
      a battle. I once asked a sergent why we had to train for nightime
      navigation over land. He told me it was because of the artillery
      that would blow you to hell if they caught you in the daytime. You
      see when you ask insipid questions as an officer the seargent
      should respond with the correct answer, if he knows it. It is that
      sort of bedrock order that can sustain a soldier in battle. Now if
      you are a private and ask a stupid question that seargent might
      chew you right up to your vocal coards and wack you upside the head.
      You go find it out yourself and maby youll remember it. Now the
      military knows its soldiers are far too valuable for hitting in the
      head. somebody is responsible for the firepower of that cannon. It
      will be interesting to see what use was made of cannon in Iraque
      and Afganistan. That will probably be classified for many years but
      I am sure we still have facility to refurbish big guns. The biggest
      of big boomers were built over at rock island . They said they took
      them apart but they say lots of shit. Remember Harry Truman did it
      as an untried, first term president. Right now the metal is in the
      kettle but when it is gone other appropriatons appear. And then
      again there are those little things soldiers like to do upon
      leaving. Whats the penalty for slipping into insergancy and opening
      your boarders to a foreign power. Some zealot prince out there
      should start the Bring back Saddam movement. We`ve blown up all his
      cannon and his army is now US trained. All those horrible bastards
      over there deserve each other. We can make them remember we still
      have the cannon. Bill
    • mariaprophetessa
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 27, 2006
        Bill, the cannons appear to have been originally forged at the West
        Point Foundry and then repaired (or whatever) at the South Boston Iron
        Works in 1884. I expect a response to the question of whether they were
        US army or navy. My guess is navy since they weigh 8 tons a piece. I
        know little about the naval battles of the Civil War. Apparently, all
        over the country now, municipalities are selling off their cannons to
        collectors, and then subsequently not re-elected when the citizenry
        discovers it. My existential analogy about repair and retrofit ties my
        formative years, the 60's, with today. I feel so differently now that
        the stakes are higher and the planet dangerously closer to reeling out
        into cold space. In any event, I admire the activist existentialists of
        the older generation. First they had to fight the nazis, then they had
        to outmaneuver both the communists and capitalists who thought they
        weren't party-line enough. When Sartre was old and doddering, Simone
        had to resort to the clandestine, moving him from apartment to
        apartment, room to room to escape bomb threats. There were some
        detonations and close calls. The last time I retreated to family and
        mainstream. Mary