Apartness

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7, 2006
      Mary, It is so hard to escape politics, and maybe on that front I
      have protested far too much. After all, it is part of daily life,
      whether one benefits/suffers passively from decisions taken, or else
      is in some manner activist. In relation to existential or other
      philosophy, however, politics need be about specifics. I am
      appallingly ignorant of your history over there in the 'States, and am
      only slowly rectifying my ignorances of UK and European history. Not
      that I'm unusual in this, but the statistics are unimportant to me.
      Poetry composed by Homer, translated by Pope, intelligently criticised
      by Arnold, does act in subtle ways to direct the course of life which
      does not belong to me, yet is what I am, in that sense, 'mine'. The
      British politics, local or national, seen nightly projected on to TV
      screens, is pragmatic and unphilosophical - such is the nature of
      modern democracy, another unwieldy beast, slow to evolve. Louise