Prognostication

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2006
      It is with sadness that I agree with Trinidads post. It seems the
      future resists preemptive opening. The increasing complexity of this
      world only adds to the difficulty of predicting future events.
      I have fallen to the temptation to voice my ideas of the future and
      I fail as miserably as all the other wisards.
      Areas of breakthrough in science often are announced before they
      are fully researched. I remember the announcement of "cold fusion".
      It turned out to be a hoax, more an urban legend than a scientific
      discovery. The idealistic, the believers desperately need progress
      or even rumor of progress. I played that game for a few years but
      as I attended the seminars and spoke with the futurists, I saw that
      their reasons for great expectations had high emotional content.
      In a way they had substituted futurism for the faith in gods and
      religion that had become intellectually untenable.
      We as existentialists had killed god and replaced him with a brutal
      reality devoid of traditional hope. With no more beatific vision on
      the horizon people turned to science as the way out of the
      predicament of finitude. We have accomplished a good deal but
      nothing of god like preportions. Lawrence Livermore`s experiments
      with fusion control still hold promise but even unlimited energy
      production only builds a hotter fire under our engines , we still
      have the plodding physiology of terrestrial evolved organisms. Could
      we live ten life spans and approach the speed of light in space we
      would only be running farther from what we are.
      Others who fled to the arts may see new marvels in their rhymes and
      meters. Indeed I can ratchet up a swelled appreciation for the
      new , better music or writing but as Louise has said Homer somehow
      got it best , first.
      What kind of attitude is left to those of us who denounce the
      metaphysics of faith and the emotianalism of the futurist? It seems
      we must admit defeat at the start and organise our lives to give us
      a modicum of comfort and security while we plod at a healthy pace.
      What is the rush, we are not going anywhere. Bill