clueless

  • Trinidad Cruz
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5 2:46 PM
      If you want to get an inkling of what you're really in for in the next
      few decades and a realistic insight into what the relationship between
      government, corprorate entitities, and scientific progress is, this
      article by Specter in "New Yorker" magazine is relatively insightful.

      http://www.wesjones.com/specter2.htm

      excerpt:

      "When I went to see Andrew Von Eschenbach, in his office on the N.I.H.
      campus, to discuss his leadership of the cancer institute and the
      F.D.A., he didn't want to talk about data or the policies of the
      Administration. But he did share his vision of a medical future so
      "profound" that he calls it the "molecular metamorphosis." He said,
      "It doesn't change one thing--it changes everything, and the future
      will look no more like the past than a butterfly looks like a
      caterpillar." Von Eschenbach is a pleasant and self-effacing man, and
      he told me, as he has often told others, that this new approach to
      medicine will help "eliminate suffering and death due to cancer by
      2015." I asked him how we could accomplish such a remarkable
      feat--after all, the war on cancer has been waged for decades with
      only moderate success. "We are going to morph the current reality into
      the new reality and that will go on over the next ten years," he said."

      Gee. I wonder how we're going to do that? Even if we could, I wonder
      if anybody "morphed" into this guy's brave new world would actually
      enjoy being human anymore. Who do you think he thinks is going to help
      him do this wondrous morphing, drug companies and republicans, Jesus
      or Aliens? It certainly doesn't seem to be ordinary human scientists,
      using ordinary human scientific methods. Funny, I haven't heard of any
      wondrous new technologies.I wonder what the cure is for the disease
      that makes men like this so comfortably stupid? Morphing reality for
      everyone else's good seems just a teeny bit totalitarian. I'd
      definitely slap this idiot if he was in the room with me.In fact, I
      think I am going to have a beer or two and slap a few people I know
      who are like this, just for the practice. Did I stutter?

      Trinidad