Re: New, and with a question.........................................

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2006
      Hello Peter.

      No, I'm not familiar with the text you mention. In fact, I'm not
      familiar with anything at present. When Bill, Mary Jo, and any
      other lost friends offer me a clue as to who I am, hoping to
      introduce myself also. May the list not change you!! (I'm mad, by
      the way. I think it helps).

      Louise

    • cgi77@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2006
        That's fine, I don't know who I am either.
        Are you "mad" as in angry, or "mad" as in lost your mind?

        -Peter C.

        question.........................................

        Hello Peter.

        No, I'm not familiar with the text you mention. In fact, I'm not
        familiar with anything at present. When Bill, Mary Jo, and any
        other lost friends offer me a clue as to who I am, hoping to
        introduce myself also. May the list not change you!! (I'm mad, by
        the way. I think it helps).

        Louise

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, cgi77@... wrote:

        > Hi Louise,
        >
        > I've been lurking around and listening for several weeks now. I
        thought
        > it might be time to introduce myself. I am an artist and writer
        with an
        > un[healthy] penchant for philosophy. I have just finished reading
        > "Basic Writings of Existentialism", Gordon Marino, editor.
        >
        > I am sure you all are familiar with this text, the volume focuses
        on
        > the writings of Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, and Dostoevsky, Heidegger,
        > Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Camus, and Ralph Ellison. This has, of
        > course, given me quite a good deal to think about. I have a
        million
        > questions, the first of which is.what happened to Existential
        thought
        > after this initial period. Which modern philosophers, if any are
        still
        > considered existentialists?
        >
        > Thanks for all of your posts, extremely interesting material!
        >
        > -Peter C.

        Please support the Existential Primer... dedicated to explaining
        nothing!

        Yahoo! Groups Links
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2006
          Grammar takes study. Yesterday, I was, intermittently, "mad", as in
          angry, fearful also, of that impossible event, such real sensation
          in form of fear, uncertain, that mind be lost. Society is cool.
          Objective observation renders the illusion of insanity. It's
          actually nothing more than unfashionable insight in action.
          Invisibility gets imposed, one way or another. Lunatic asylum are
          two beautiful words, in combination. By no means always a haven,
          though. I keep my madness for my verse. Sometimes I get upset,
          that the words didn't make a poem. My reasons for believing myself
          a poet are congruent with Rilke's statements on the subject: I don't
          want to stop trying. My vocation is my life.

          louise
          ... not good at exposure

        • moodylawless
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
            Could it be that Existentialism was superseded by Postmodernism,
            Deconstructionism and the like?

            The latter, like Existentialism are all Continental philosophy - is
            there a real British Existentialist [other than Colin Wilson]?.

            I feel that Existentialism is still relevant, as the full impact of the
            Death of God has not set in - even now.

            I believe it is important to cultivate what Nietzsche called
            a 'Pessimism of Strength', which can be aligned to Existentialism.

            I link my Blog and Group here because I have begun to look at this
            issue in those places too.

            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, cgi77@... wrote: what happened to
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
              Thanks for the reply to my question.
              I was wondering what Existential connections/influences show up in the
              work of people like Derrida, Foucault, Habermas, Eco and others if any.
              Exactly, how did Existentialism transform into Postmoderism or did it?

              -Peter C.
              ARTIST'S BLOG - http://invisiblenotes.blogspot.com/