New, and with a question.........................................

  • cgi77@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2006
      Hi Louise,

      I've been lurking around and listening for several weeks now. I thought
      it might be time to introduce myself. I am an artist and writer with an
      un[healthy] penchant for philosophy. I have just finished reading
      "Basic Writings of Existentialism", Gordon Marino, editor.

      I am sure you all are familiar with this text, the volume focuses on
      the writings of Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, and Dostoevsky, Heidegger,
      Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Camus, and Ralph Ellison. This has, of
      course, given me quite a good deal to think about. I have a million
      questions, the first of which is.what happened to Existential thought
      after this initial period. Which modern philosophers, if any are still
      considered existentialists?

      Thanks for all of your posts, extremely interesting material!

      -Peter C.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2006
        Hello Peter.

        No, I'm not familiar with the text you mention. In fact, I'm not
        familiar with anything at present. When Bill, Mary Jo, and any
        other lost friends offer me a clue as to who I am, hoping to
        introduce myself also. May the list not change you!! (I'm mad, by
        the way. I think it helps).

        Louise

      • cgi77@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2006
          That's fine, I don't know who I am either.
          Are you "mad" as in angry, or "mad" as in lost your mind?

          -Peter C.

          question.........................................

          Hello Peter.

          No, I'm not familiar with the text you mention. In fact, I'm not
          familiar with anything at present. When Bill, Mary Jo, and any
          other lost friends offer me a clue as to who I am, hoping to
          introduce myself also. May the list not change you!! (I'm mad, by
          the way. I think it helps).

          Louise

          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, cgi77@... wrote:

          > Hi Louise,
          >
          > I've been lurking around and listening for several weeks now. I
          thought
          > it might be time to introduce myself. I am an artist and writer
          with an
          > un[healthy] penchant for philosophy. I have just finished reading
          > "Basic Writings of Existentialism", Gordon Marino, editor.
          >
          > I am sure you all are familiar with this text, the volume focuses
          on
          > the writings of Kierkegaard, Nietzsche, and Dostoevsky, Heidegger,
          > Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir, Camus, and Ralph Ellison. This has, of
          > course, given me quite a good deal to think about. I have a
          million
          > questions, the first of which is.what happened to Existential
          thought
          > after this initial period. Which modern philosophers, if any are
          still
          > considered existentialists?
          >
          > Thanks for all of your posts, extremely interesting material!
          >
          > -Peter C.

          Please support the Existential Primer... dedicated to explaining
          nothing!

          Yahoo! Groups Links
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2006
            Grammar takes study. Yesterday, I was, intermittently, "mad", as in
            angry, fearful also, of that impossible event, such real sensation
            in form of fear, uncertain, that mind be lost. Society is cool.
            Objective observation renders the illusion of insanity. It's
            actually nothing more than unfashionable insight in action.
            Invisibility gets imposed, one way or another. Lunatic asylum are
            two beautiful words, in combination. By no means always a haven,
            though. I keep my madness for my verse. Sometimes I get upset,
            that the words didn't make a poem. My reasons for believing myself
            a poet are congruent with Rilke's statements on the subject: I don't
            want to stop trying. My vocation is my life.

            louise
            ... not good at exposure

          • moodylawless
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
              Could it be that Existentialism was superseded by Postmodernism,
              Deconstructionism and the like?

              The latter, like Existentialism are all Continental philosophy - is
              there a real British Existentialist [other than Colin Wilson]?.

              I feel that Existentialism is still relevant, as the full impact of the
              Death of God has not set in - even now.

              I believe it is important to cultivate what Nietzsche called
              a 'Pessimism of Strength', which can be aligned to Existentialism.

              I link my Blog and Group here because I have begun to look at this
              issue in those places too.

              --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, cgi77@... wrote: what happened to
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2006
                Thanks for the reply to my question.
                I was wondering what Existential connections/influences show up in the
                work of people like Derrida, Foucault, Habermas, Eco and others if any.
                Exactly, how did Existentialism transform into Postmoderism or did it?

                -Peter C.
                ARTIST'S BLOG - http://invisiblenotes.blogspot.com/