Re: I hope I will learm from this gruop

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 21, 2006
      my, provisional, understanding, that science since the Renaissance
      seeks out judgments of fact and consequence. philosophy enquires
      about judgments of value (for instance). there are many disagreements
      among philosophers, existential or not, as there are among
      scientists. some of the former would, in the Socratic tradition, not
      expect substantial answers to their questions. one is therefore left
      simply with will, which accounts, i believe, for the acceptance of
      hemlock at the close of the trial. logic in such case is accordingly
      of the situation, in part socially determined, not of the thought and
      the individual existent. other philosophers deem genuine answers to
      be provided by the patient and persistent enquiries of their art.
      whether and how such answers are related to a lived life determines,
      in my view, whether or no a philosopher is existential in intent, and
      whether or no he lives authentically according to that intent. as
      Bill has pointed out, right and wrong, whether of morality, custom, or
      law, take us to a different conceptual field. - L

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Bobconkawi@... wrote:

      > On medical ethics: If I understand Camus correctly, we should make
      judgments of fact and consequence, not judgments of value. Hence, if
      your research produces something than can cause harm and you set it
      loose to the world, what consequences follow? Do you want those
      consequences? No? If we can act and do not, will consequences follow?
      Are we not responsible for those consequences? Are you not
      responsible for those consequences? Of course. Are not existential
      ethics based on cause/effect and responsibility?--Bob