I dunno

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 5, 2006
      The pregame is on and the excitement mounts, I just watch the playoffs
      in the pro-game but am proactive in the collage ranks. So, I have lied
      to you, I do have a god, the god of football.
      Skig came from Sicile, a barbaric agrarian of great size, speed and
      furocity. He really did not understand team as he did not speak a
      word of english. They were going to send him back until he tried
      football. He nearly killed us all. If Skig got in a drill he would
      turn it into what we called a biting ball. The only retort to Skig was
      to bite him back. That is the kind of teaching you can do in little
      but football. It comes right from the mules of rome and their endless
      training. It may be the stairway to evolutionary heaven but the Stones
      are playing it. Suck on this world, the commercials are starting, the
      marketing has begun!Bill
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 27, 2009
        I havn`t read those guys and from what you guys say I won`t. Magic,
        just does not ring my bell.
        As to James, I liked some of what you wrote but your anticipation of
        my reaction was keen. For me metaphysics is a no no. I really try to
        stay away from it. Then again I am pretty much awed and agape-ed out.I
        lost interest when it was beaten into my head from some vatican 2
        revisionism. They revised me right out of their church. James, you have
        that canonical perspective and it puts me in a IRA mindset. Being
        told what I must think,even believe really gets negative attention
        from me. It sounds like if I am to agree with Obama I am going to have
        to get rid of the war talk about the Arabs. It is the imperial
        conditioning that must be reformed. How can there be anything but a
        war on terror/ I will need let alone a great number of really biting
        stereotypes. I am sure the guys from Black-water will keep vigil. I do
        not plan much time with my butt in the air to any deity and I hope
        Obama can remain vertical, at least in public. Change is gonna be
        strange. Bill
      • tom
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 27, 2009
          Bill,
          I think that Obama is hoping to remove to a large extent the factors that motivate people to kill themselves in order to kill Americans. The only other solution would be to committ genocide on a billion people. If Obama continues to display kindly attitudes toward Islamic people, the number of potential terrorists will dwindle. Bush's policies have pushed Arabs that were previously moderate into extremist modes. I'd guess that with the new direction, more moderate types might very well go after extremists themselves rather than see Obama's moderation fail, and be faced with another Neocon in 4 years. Ron Paul said during one of the presidential debates that 911 was blowback for 50 years of US policy in mideast. He also asked how wed like it if China was building huge numbers of bases in Panama? If u r stepping on people's toes, dont be suprised if they take a punch at u. I think Obama is going to make an effort to get off their toes, and hope for the best. If that fails, he might have to get tough. But like the good guy in the movie, he turns cheeks and tries to be peaceful before kicking bad guy's ass.
          Tom

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 27, 2009
            So far Obama is winning with these early, scripted moves. His
            handling of congress is remarkable. Can you spell obstructionist? I do
            not think it wise politically to wear that monicker. There is really
            no nuclear answer to the middle east. Spread from Indonesia to Africa
            it takes too many megatons to eradicate that huge a population base.
            Nuclear winter and rapid global warming will wipe out all of us if we
            are stupid enough to try genocide. Afghanistan is a different set of
            problems and I am sure Obama has opened back door channels as far as
            he can get inside terrorist networks. From their side living might
            have some value if they could make a deal with people they could
            respect. How badly do we want Bin Laden killed, bad enough to give up
            Mideast peace to accomplish his demise. Then again he may not have all
            that long to live and may have dreams of a glorious legacy. What
            turns his attitudes may be most foreign but attainable. Obama needs to
            know such things and communication with subordinates could give
            answers. I doubt they be available with Gitmo still calling. I am most
            interested and see new possibilities. Bill
          • tom
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 27, 2009
              Bill,
              I wasn't at all suggesting genocide as a solution to the mideast problems. I was saying that unless the US were willing to get that extreme, it might be wise to cease and desist many of the actions that anger them. Bin Laden said in one of his statements that if we had attacked u for your freedom, why didnt we attack Sweeden. If u have a guy down the road u r having difficulty getting along with, a first step might be to get out of his yard. They dont like US bases in their holy lands. They dont like the fact that the CIA and various other US government agencies have been involved in cous and propping up dictatorships in the mideast for many years. In recent years, Bush had a more negative world opinion than Bin Laden. Obama is very bright, clever, and charming; and tends to be a unifier whither in regard to Hilary, Mccain, George Will or Islamists. Lets hope the US and the world can get back on the track of peace and a reduction of military spending that charecterized the 90s. Obama has said he favors major reductions in plans for more missiles etc, and hopes to eventually move toward ending nuclear weapons. Many of the top scientists in the Manhattan Project began to regret their participation in making the bomb before it was ever used, and only got involved because they had heard Hitler was working on one. Many of these guys became the first of the people against nuclear weapons. Einstein said his signing that letter to FDR was the biggest mistake of his life.. As I write this, I sit with my Obama tshirt on. I originally supported Ron Paul, but after Paul was out of it, my vote went to Obama. My biggest agenda is dislike and fear of a growing military industrial establishment and police state prison industrial complex. Orwell said if u want to visualize the future of mankind, imagine a boot crushing a human face for all eternity.

              NO FRIEND OF BIN LADEN

              I'm no friend of Bin Laden.
              I think he's psycho and rotten.
              But in my own psyche, the assholes running things over here
              create a hell of a lot more hatred and fear.

              Tom

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                Tom and d Dick, I liked your recent posts,they taught me things. I have never been to a rave,uninvited you know. As to all those exotic places in the old world it is nice to hear those old names. Supposidly my ancestry came from cork,they certainly popped a few. So rave on , you write well and I enjoy your adventures into my unknown. Bill
              • tom
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                  Bill,

                  I am glad u enjoyed my post. I have never been invited to a Rave either. The first time I heard of Biden was in regard to the Rave Act. I have read recently that Bisen in the 80s was the sponsor of the bill that established the Drug Czar's office. Interestingly, the Drug Czar can use public money to fight referendums for pot legalization. Government money used to buy advertising against a yes vote on legalizing pot seems as bad to me as using government money for advertising for a candidate. Interestingly, Hillary Clinton and Ted Kennedy were among the cosponsors of the bill the second time it came up. the bill was defeated twice but got thru attached to the Amber Alert child abduction bill. That is a trick often used to attach an unpopular bill to a popular bill. No politician would want to give his opponents the chance to say he voted against a bill to fight aganst child abduction.

                  Have a good day, and lets hope we all can learn and grown through our interchanges.

                  Tom
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                    Dick, There is a creek in northern Misouri named the Mulchinock creek. Did that wealthy family move to Misouri?Bill
                  • rwr
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                      I have no idea Bill, interesting though innit, and I doubt if it is a
                      very common name, like wot my bog standard name is. I like Russian names
                      best, Oh yeah and I love those North American Indian names (many of them
                      were from Russia so I read) – they sound like poetry to me. I think
                      I have a great affinity with the old injuns. When we were kids playing
                      the back streets of London during the war and we played cowboys and
                      injuns I always wanted to be an injun wid a hos and a bow and arrows :-
                      )))) Why don't you check it out and let me know. Fascinating.

                      > Dick, There is a creek in northern Misouri named the Mulchinock creek.
                      Did that wealthy family move to Misouri?Bill

                    • William
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                          Hearing only the echo of war drums today. Sorry, I can't participate.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                            Bill,

                            You write

                            cently visited the American Indian Museum at the Smithsonian. Many indians work there and they are happy to relate the stone age life of their people. In physical terms they were most simple but in metaphysical terms they were giants. With no written language they were verbal and artifact grounded. They were in nature and I can see how your mysticism dovetails with theirs. I have met their medicine men . I think religion came from such natural and humble origins. What it turned into in Europe is one of the travesties of man

                            As I have stated before I understand institutionlized Christianity was created by adulterating paganism to transform religion from a means of communion and empowerment to a means of social control. However, Carl Jung maintained that to understand the psychic split in the western mind we have to understand we came too fast too soon. After the barbarians overran Rome, in less than a century the descendents of the marauding barbarians had been transformed from nomadic hunting tribes, who when the opportunity arose loved nothing better than overrunning a city, and partying for about a month as they could skip hunting and enjoy the new women, drink, smoke herbs etc into God fearing Christian peasants. So scaring the hell out of people was the essence of inistutionalized Christianity.Of course scaring wives was as important as scaring barbarians. Doing so made paternal succesion something u could believe in, which help create strong family bonds for powerful enduring groups. I suspect that early Christianity was initilly a resurgence of a form of paganism. The deep friendship and many say erotic relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdelin, as well as Jesus taking up for the woman taken in sin, references to the birds of the field, and always teaching in meadows, on mountaintops etc is indicative of a breaking free of the many rules of Judism.
                            I believe the Catholic Church to a large extent kept the unadulterated paganism for the inner circle. Looked at in that way, the bible can be seen on a number of levels. From a peasant point of view it wa all about scaring the hell out of u, but from the point of the pagans in Priest's clothing that put it together, things like being thrown out of the Garden of Eden and original sin can be seen as symbols of humanity's disconnection with their inner being and the world around them, that coming under the sway of institutionalized Christianity entailed.

                            Adam&Eve
                            Adam and Eve were naked Pagans in the Garden of Eden; until they got uptight, God fearing, and fallen about what kind of fruit they had eaten.

                            Groovy man

                            by the Cool Cat

                            CATHOLIC CHURCH IS DYING
                            The Catholic Church is dying; and you won't hear the Coolcat crying.

                            I spent my childhood and adolescence a victim of their bullying and their lying.

                            That the cat is out of the bag now; there's no denying.

                            Groovy man

                            by the Cool Cat

                            How to turn a Goddess or God into a Saint

                            To turn a goddess or a god into a saint,
                            first you castrate them so the decent folk don't faint.
                            Next you paint over their realness with Catholic white paint. Then the establishment that killed them will gladly pray to them with no complaint.

                            Now Jesus turned water to wine,
                            and he danced, laughed and made love.
                            And showed the thieves and whores how to be divine.
                            Of course the Catholic Church insists it was only their future salvation he had in mind.

                            Now according to Shakespeare,
                            Joan of Arc was a wild lady,
                            who loved orgies in the park.
                            But the Catholic Church originally said her visions were fake,
                            and burned her sweet ass at the stake.
                            Five hundred years later, the Catholic Church admitted they made a mistake,
                            and canonized her a saint.
                            But when they tried her for sorcery and heresy,
                            she said she was in contact with God.
                            The priest laughed as he put the torch to the stake,
                            saying, "no you ain't".

                            So if they can't get rid of a rebel by killing.
                            They pretend that it was really a Catholic way of life, these saints were fulfilling.
                            So as you can see, the Catholic Church is real cunning and has lots of tricks,
                            and they've created saints by removing cunts and dicks.
                            And if in the near future we have another inquisition,
                            and the establishment kills its enemies to save the world from lust and superstition,
                            they'd probably kill all the rock stars with a dagger,
                            and five hundred years later, they'd canonize Saint Jagger.

                            Groovy man

                            by the Cool Cat

                            VICTIMLESS CRIME

                            Jesus Christ was cruified for a victimless crime

                            by the same cats that been in the cross building business since the beginning of time.

                            Now Pilate couldn't see anything Jesus had done wrong

                            but he washed his hands of the matter after he did what was politicaly expedient to get along.

                            Groovy Man

                            by the Cool Cat

                            www.thecoolcat.net

                            I have heard in medieval Europe the big cities were almost all Christian, whereas the rural areas often were in fact pagan, but nominally were orthodox Christians to avoid persecution.

                            The comments by Nietzsche on the will to power certainly explains the essence of institutionalized Christianity.

                            Or as the old Indian saying"White man speak with forked tongue".

                            I have heard that Indians had a totally different kind of political system.

                            Instead of shady deals in smoke filled rooms, the elders meditated or smoked a pipe of peyote and waited for the great spirit to speak thru who ever it did.

                            Peace to all,

                            Tom

                            Bill,

                            I just thought of a Dylan song representing a return to nature an leaving the falseness of our conditioning.
                            "The Lotusts Cried"

                            > I have no idea Bill, interesting though innit, and I doubt if it is a
                            > very common name, like wot my bog standard name is. I like Russian names
                            > best, Oh yeah and I love those North American Indian names (many of them
                            > were from Russia so I read) - they sound like poetry to me. I think
                            > I have a great affinity with the old injuns. When we were kids playing
                            > the back streets of London during the war and we played cowboys and
                            > injuns I always wanted to be an injun wid a hos and a bow and arrows :-
                            > )))) Why don't you check it out and let me know. Fascinating.
                            >
                            > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "bhvwd" <v.valleywestdental@>
                            > wrote:
                            > >Dick, Here in my office I have many native artifacts, bows, arrows, rabbit club, tom tom and a ceremonial spear. My wife is of indian origin and my father has fox blood. Your English ancestors ,even the ancient ones, were much advanced from native americans.I recently visited the American Indian Museum at the Smithsonian. Many indians work there and they are happy to relate the stone age life of their people. In physical terms they were most simple but in metaphysical terms they were giants. With no written language they were verbal and artifact grounded. They were in nature and I can see how your mysticism dovetails with theirs. I have met their medicine men . I think religion came from such natural and humble origins. What it turned into in Europe is one of the travesties of man. An old medicine man of the Taos told me that if the spanish had not come his people would not have changed and after the europeans leave the Taos will return to the old life. They do not think in centuries or decades, only seasons. It was the season to harvest the rabbits and the elder explained that the handles on the rabbit club grew longer when used from horseback. He considered hunting from horseback unfair as rabbits are not afraid of horses. I therefore purchased a short handled rabbit club. My wife and I move easily amoung the tribes as we can feel the ancient and deep peace amoung them. Yes, you would do well with them. Bill
                            > > Dick, There is a creek in northern Misouri named the Mulchinock creek.
                            > Did that wealthy family move to Misouri?Bill

                          • shadowed_statue
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                              > As I have stated before I understand institutionlized Christianity was created by adulterating paganism to transform religion from a means of communion and empowerment to a means of social control. However, Carl Jung maintained that to understand the psychic split in the western mind we have to understand we came too fast too soon. After the barbarians overran Rome, in less than a century the descendents of the marauding barbarians had been transformed from nomadic hunting tribes, who when the opportunity arose loved nothing better than overrunning a city, and partying for about a month as they could skip hunting and enjoy the new women, drink, smoke herbs etc into God fearing Christian peasants. So scaring the hell out of people was the essence of inistutionalized Christianity.Of course scaring wives was as important as scaring barbarians. Doing so made paternal succesion something u could believe in, which help create strong family bonds for powerful enduring groups. I suspect that early Christianity was initilly a resurgence of a form of paganism. The deep friendship and many say erotic relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdelin, as well as Jesus taking up for the woman taken in sin, references to the birds of the field, and always teaching in meadows, on mountaintops etc is indicative of a breaking free of the many rules of Judism.

                              Tom, Your views on religion are consistent, and often annoying. The idea of an erotic relationship between Jesus and Mary Magdalen is so ludicrous it destroys the inner meaning of the faith. Fairly obviously, we are not going to make progress by discussing this point, because your focus is on a generalised sweep of historic institutions, and mine is the Kierkegaardian theme of the single believer, an existential endeavour that does not bow to the needs of potentates and princes. I wish to put my objection on record, that your impression of what "many say" is depressingly misleading. Having said that, by all means come back at me if you wish. We might be able to discuss around the subject, even if we cannot make headway when we appear to be referring to quite different phenomena. There is a difference between Christendom and Christian faith. Louise
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                                If this were an existential topic I'd take you on, Louise. Alas, it is not. Mary

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                                  Mary, Of course it is an existential topic, the matter of individual faith. Discussion about Kierkegaard has never made much progress at this group. Feelings have so long gone unrespected here, when it is a matter of truly understanding what spirituality may include. My mind is impaired at present, and I can write nothing further. Louise

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                                    Louise,

                                    I like a quote from George Soros that our ideas of reality will never be totally correct, but hopefully both individually and collectively we can gradually get our concepts closer to reality.I believe as an individual over the course of my life I have gradually got closer to truth. As for the reality of anybody who lived thousands of years ago, there is little certainty about their lives and ideas. If something happens on Main Street yesterday, the accounts we receive are distorted by both purposeful bias as well as errors of observation, memory etc. How much more so the further back we go into time. So I presume we all project a good bit of our own inner inclinations, values etc onto any of the myths. Here are a few quotes by Thomas Jefferson I feel a kinship for
                                    . I have recently been examining all the known superstitions of the world, and do not find in our particular superstition [Christianity] one redeeming feature. They are all alike, founded upon fables and mythologies. - Jefferson

                                    . "his [Jesus'] principles were departed from by those who professed to be his special servants, and perverted into an engine for enslaving mankind - Jefferson

                                    The clergy . have been . against the civil and religious rights of man. - Jefferson

                                    "The Christian God is a being of terrific character - cruel, vindictive, capricious, and unjust" Jefferson

                                    I never submitted the whole system of my opinions to the creed of any party of men whatever in religion, in philosophy, in politics, or in anything else where I was capable of thinking for myself. Such an addiction is the last degradation of a free and moral agent.
                                    -Thomas Jefferson, letter to Francis Hopkinson, March 13, 1789

                                    These quotes are very much in line with my thoughts and intuitions on not only Christianity but all organized religion. I believe all religions were founded on new insights and visions by mystically inclined individuals, but soon are transformed into static creeds that more and more reflect the wills to power of various political, economic, and social groups. Carl Jung said "Thank God I am not a Jungian, I can always change my mind."

                                    This Nietzsche quote fits very well into my ideas

                                    Change of Cast. -- As soon as a religion comes to dominate it has as its opponents all those who would have been its first disciples.

                                    from Nietzsche's Human, all too Human, s.118, R.J. Hollingdale transl.

                                    The original ideas were the product of a person looking within for truth, but in a short time they become creeds that are substitutes for introspection. As Bruce Lee said at the end of Jeet Kun Do. If anyone says Jeet Ken Do is different from this and that let the name be forgotten, because that is all it is is a name. I forget now the exact name of the council, but around 4 or 5 hundred A.D. a council was held and reincarnation was voted out. That seems to me to fit into Jung's ideas that to understand the psyche of western peoples we must understand the fact that it was necesary to create a very black and white creed to civilize out ancestors who were primative tribes of roving hunting tribes. Carl Jung maintained the east had thousands of years to integrate the instinctive with the ideal; whereas our situation demanded things like reincarnation be done away wigh for an eternal hell. It was thought that only the fear of some bad lives in the future was not enough to deter the invading barbarians fron their instinctive patterns of murdering, raping and looting.

                                    Naturally, thinkers we admire are to a certain extent reflecting archtypical thinking that is congruent with the archtypes that are emerging within our own psyche, so I can not claim any dogmatic certainty that I am totally right, but all I can say is that these are ideas that my outer observations and inner intuitions lead me toward.

                                    Peace,

                                    Tom

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                                      > The original ideas were the product of a person looking within for truth, but in a short time they become creeds that are substitutes for introspection.

                                      Tom, I guess this is how I feel about people's unofficial religions, including all that "working class hero" sort of stuff. The trouble with original ideas is that they often lead to a massed assault on the originator, which may take a very civilised form, such as a jury trial and a dose of hemlock, or a well-organised auto-da-fe. Or, coming closer to the present, a camp for purposes of re-education. As Solzhenitsyn pointed out, the peoples of the West will only learn about totalitarian ideas by hard experience. Louise
                                    • tom
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 1, 2009
                                        Louise,

                                        I agree wholeheartedly with you there. That is my point that as religions become institutionalized they will tend to transform themselves into public relations tools for the dominant powers. Most people prefer to avoid crucifictions, burnings at the stake etc. I have heard it said that in medieval times if heresies broke out and there were many reports of helings etc., the Inquisition would get busy. If the new schools of thought were not making many breakthroughs, the popes, cardinals etc would just let it die of its own weakness. As long as a rigid dogma upholds the political, economic and social structures, heresy is seen by all these powers as a danger to them being perceived as ordained by God. The Holy Roman Empire was justified to the masses on the basis that the Pope received his authority from God, and in turn passed it down to kings, lords etc. When Henry the 8th broke with Rome, the new mindset was substituting the king and in his daughter's case the queen for the pope to create more nationalism.
                                        Tom