Origins

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2 12:58 PM
      If we knew what we were, we would have a better notion of what we
      are. I think that idea has merit. Notions gleaned from paleobiology
      are not measurable to laser optic standards but they share the
      observational reliability equil to the grand theory of evolution.
      Fossil identification has a great deal of eyes on certitude that was
      the hallmark of phylum identifacation studys at the time of Darwin.
      The search has been aided by DNA work, and high accuracy dating
      systems that use cutting edge tech. The story of the evolution of
      the human species is a reliable and useful intellectual tool. It can
      ground one in time and lessen the horrible angst of our existential
      founders. I know the greater part of them were not terribly
      impressed by science or its practitioners. I would not be able to
      honestly utter one paragraph without some reference to or rational
      from science. Science makes the existentialism examine facts. We are
      not thrown here, we evolved here and that is a very different set of
      situations. You can be an old school existentialist without science
      but the whole meliew has greatly broadned. The BBC " Walking with
      Cavemen" is a chance to catch up. It tell of evolution of our
      species from the aboral apes, through the hominids to present. It
      shows why the chronology is reliable and the research evidence is
      impressive. It drives home the state of randomness as a wild card
      that changes great trends and long term polimer successions. The
      intreference of geologic level events is shown to throw enen more
      radical eccentricities into the linear wave of time. In a sense the
      show is philosophy more than science but it suggests a timeline and
      a partial listing of the species extinct off the direct line to
      homo sapiens. Actually there is no direct line and the process was
      in starts and stops for seven million years. The hominid
      reproductions are spectacular in this production and the animal
      life who lived with our ancestors are shown to push and pull
      theevolutionary levers of hominoids. In a sense it tells you why
      things are as they are and that also reduces the shock and angst
      the founders flung onto us. Of course if you just like it black and
      oily the most perfectly presented chronologies will rot on the line.
      My wife, a nonscientist, got her socks knocked off by this show. She
      is a sociologist by training and the rational for many behavours
      shown in the show impressed her. My wife can count real fast and the
      numbers in the show are well used and add up. I have had too many
      concussions to be a fast counter but this show teaches even the slow
      who survived from Australopithicus Afarensis. Bill
    • seriously.merry
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2 1:13 PM
        What a breath of fresh air. And a double recommend besides. As I
        type, it's on its way through the inter-library loan system. Thanks!