Re: [existlist] Re: flockless

  • Albert
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2 11:18 AM
      Louise

      I might well be narcissistic, this is in my mind a healthy thing, though I doubt you meant it in the way I like to think of it. You are the most passive aggressive person I have ever met !

      You shrugged me off essentially by telling me that I did not know SK and that therefore the matter was not worth discussing to you.

      All I want is a reasonable argument. For example, I think it was Plato who said "...order implies a creator...". This statement supports the hypothesis that God exists. SK criticising the believer does not support the hypothesis that God does not exist. My criticism of SK, is that he is actually trying to prove to his reader that God does not exist by criticising the believer in this way. This is what I meant by "pop-psychology criticism".

      Now before we go any further, I do not actually support any of these two hypotheses, I am merely asking you, an avid reader of SK, to defend him with an argument that does actually support the idea that God does not exist.

      Even kinder regards
      Albert

      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2 11:35 AM
        Louise

        And yes, I write financial accounting systems for a living. I am not very learned when it comes to the arts. This is not to say though that I am completely left brain dominant.
        But please indulge me ?

        2/1/2006

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2 11:47 AM
          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Albert" <al_d@...> wrote:

          > Louise
          >
          > I might well be narcissistic, this is in my mind a healthy thing,
          though I doubt you meant it in the way I like to think of it. You
          are the most passive aggressive person I have ever met !

          > You shrugged me off essentially by telling me that I did not know
          SK and that therefore the matter was not worth discussing to you.

          > All I want is a reasonable argument. For example, I think it was
          Plato who said "...order implies a creator...". This statement
          supports the hypothesis that God exists. SK criticising the believer
          does not support the hypothesis that God does not exist. My
          criticism of SK, is that he is actually trying to prove to his
          reader that God does not exist by criticising the believer in this
          way. This is what I meant by "pop-psychology criticism".

          > Now before we go any further, I do not actually support any of
          these two hypotheses, I am merely asking you, an avid reader of SK,
          to defend him with an argument that does actually support the idea
          that God does not exist.

          > Even kinder regards
          > Albert

          Albert,

          First of all, as someone embroiled at present in the variously
          sympathetic and scary meshes of the British judicial and psychiatric
          systems, your description of me as passive-aggressive, though not
          offensive, reads to one of my persuasion as a political statement.
          If I expanded on my theories - which would take too long, anyway - I
          don't really expect you would be convinced. In any case, Susan
          (currently acting as moderator), whilst tolerant of the complexities
          of this intellective bind I'm in, would prefer psychiatric matters
          to be discussed elsewhere. My first Yahoo group, to this day a
          welcome haven to me, welcomes anyone genuinely interested in what
          the mental medics call schizophrenia. An e-mail to my own address,
          and I should be happy to direct you there. Actually, my own [self-]
          diagnosis these days would be manic-depressive, but I distrust
          labels in general. I love narcissism, to be open with you, and wish
          only for the liberty to express my own. Well, that 'only' is
          probably misleading. It is my commitment to paradox and dialectic
          which gives the impression of belligerence (in my opinion).
          Your second paragraph is untrue, and I explained my meaning in my
          reply to you, and apologised!
          What do you mean by 'SK criticising the believer'?? He only
          criticises the hypocrisy and complacency of those who claim belief
          in the Creator he passionately loves, a committed love without
          illusion (within the given parameters). The apostle Paul, for
          instance, described himself and other converts as 'the offscourings
          of the earth'. He expected persecution, resisted lawfully, and
          fought the good fight.
          Anyway, all this explanation is intended to clear the way for
          existential debate. To discuss faith itself is off-topic, so far as
          I understand the moderators' interpretation of the rules.

          Regards,
          Louise