Re: flockless

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
      Albert,

      You amaze me. From my perspective, your response seems staggeringly
      narcissistic. We are not acquainted - how may I shrug you off?? If
      I have incorrectly inferred that you had read little of Kierkegaard,
      and cared less, I apologise. I was just, well, gobsmacked, that
      both you and Bill seemed to see him as an agnostic. Knowing
      virtually nothing if Freud's work, I am not qualified to debate on
      that subject.

      Regards,
      Louise

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Albert" <al_d@...> wrote:

      > Louise
      >
      > You shrug me off with little regard. I do apologise for not loving
      and reading all SK's works. It seems to me you have much respect for
      SK as I have much respect for Freud. However, they both have, so far
      as my limited research might go, to have the same arguments. And I
      am saying that these arguments in regard to the existence of God are
      bias and feeble, and yes, they do more than imply the non-existence
      of God.

      > But your not so subtle attempt not to debate with me is accepted.
      >
      > Albert.

      2/1/2006

    • Albert
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
        Louise

        I might well be narcissistic, this is in my mind a healthy thing, though I doubt you meant it in the way I like to think of it. You are the most passive aggressive person I have ever met !

        You shrugged me off essentially by telling me that I did not know SK and that therefore the matter was not worth discussing to you.

        All I want is a reasonable argument. For example, I think it was Plato who said "...order implies a creator...". This statement supports the hypothesis that God exists. SK criticising the believer does not support the hypothesis that God does not exist. My criticism of SK, is that he is actually trying to prove to his reader that God does not exist by criticising the believer in this way. This is what I meant by "pop-psychology criticism".

        Now before we go any further, I do not actually support any of these two hypotheses, I am merely asking you, an avid reader of SK, to defend him with an argument that does actually support the idea that God does not exist.

        Even kinder regards

        2/1/2006

      • Albert
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
          Louise

          And yes, I write financial accounting systems for a living. I am not very learned when it comes to the arts. This is not to say though that I am completely left brain dominant.
          But please indulge me ?

          2/1/2006

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 2, 2006
            --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Albert" <al_d@...> wrote:

            > Louise
            >
            > I might well be narcissistic, this is in my mind a healthy thing,
            though I doubt you meant it in the way I like to think of it. You
            are the most passive aggressive person I have ever met !

            > You shrugged me off essentially by telling me that I did not know
            SK and that therefore the matter was not worth discussing to you.

            > All I want is a reasonable argument. For example, I think it was
            Plato who said "...order implies a creator...". This statement
            supports the hypothesis that God exists. SK criticising the believer
            does not support the hypothesis that God does not exist. My
            criticism of SK, is that he is actually trying to prove to his
            reader that God does not exist by criticising the believer in this
            way. This is what I meant by "pop-psychology criticism".

            > Now before we go any further, I do not actually support any of
            these two hypotheses, I am merely asking you, an avid reader of SK,
            to defend him with an argument that does actually support the idea
            that God does not exist.

            > Even kinder regards
            > Albert

            Albert,

            First of all, as someone embroiled at present in the variously
            sympathetic and scary meshes of the British judicial and psychiatric
            systems, your description of me as passive-aggressive, though not
            offensive, reads to one of my persuasion as a political statement.
            If I expanded on my theories - which would take too long, anyway - I
            don't really expect you would be convinced. In any case, Susan
            (currently acting as moderator), whilst tolerant of the complexities
            of this intellective bind I'm in, would prefer psychiatric matters
            to be discussed elsewhere. My first Yahoo group, to this day a
            welcome haven to me, welcomes anyone genuinely interested in what
            the mental medics call schizophrenia. An e-mail to my own address,
            and I should be happy to direct you there. Actually, my own [self-]
            diagnosis these days would be manic-depressive, but I distrust
            labels in general. I love narcissism, to be open with you, and wish
            only for the liberty to express my own. Well, that 'only' is
            probably misleading. It is my commitment to paradox and dialectic
            which gives the impression of belligerence (in my opinion).
            Your second paragraph is untrue, and I explained my meaning in my
            reply to you, and apologised!
            What do you mean by 'SK criticising the believer'?? He only
            criticises the hypocrisy and complacency of those who claim belief
            in the Creator he passionately loves, a committed love without
            illusion (within the given parameters). The apostle Paul, for
            instance, described himself and other converts as 'the offscourings
            of the earth'. He expected persecution, resisted lawfully, and
            fought the good fight.
            Anyway, all this explanation is intended to clear the way for
            existential debate. To discuss faith itself is off-topic, so far as
            I understand the moderators' interpretation of the rules.

            Regards,
            Louise