Re: arbitrary sample

  • seriously.merry
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1 8:28 AM
      (quoting SK)

      >Man naturally loves finitude ... finitude quiets him down in a life
      given over to enjoyment.>

      If this idea could be proven, as well as Freud's idea of the "death
      instinct" - violence, suicides, etc., you might have something. I
      realize you didn't suggest proof was necessary; or that these ideas
      should even be linked, but I'm expressing an opinion that if Freud's
      could be proven via modern science, that would also prove SK's. I do
      agree that ideals are agony. An interesting post, unless I entirely
      missed some irony. I can tolerate abitrary examples of SK, since he
      obviously began in earnest the philosophy of scepticism about gawd,
      but the whole theist/atheist debate doesn't really seem relevant to
      me. If these, their assertions were proven, would they validate
      nihilism or anarchy? My inquiry to any diety would be, why do turtles
      and trees have such differing finitude(s) than humans? Perhaps human
      awareness isn't such a wonderful evolution? Maybe annihilation is a
      response to such a "gift." Mary