arbitrary sample

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2006
      *The Ideal*

      The ideal is enmity toward the human. - Man naturally loves finitude.
      The introduction of the ideal is to him the greatest agony; of course,
      if it is introduced very poetically as fascinating make-believe, well,
      this he accepts with pleasure.
      But when the idea is introduced as the requirement, an ethical
      religious demand - it is the most terrifying agony for man. In the
      most agonizing way it slays for him everything in which he actually
      has his life. In the most agonizing way it shows him his own
      wretchedness. In the most painful way it keeps him in sleepless
      unrest; whereas finitude quiets him down in a life given over to
      enjoyment.
      This is why Christianity has been called and is enmity toward the
      human.

      ----------------------

      Soren Kierkegaard [not dated, 1854]
      "Journals and Papers", tr. Hong & Hong. Indiana U.P. 1970.
    • seriously.merry
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2006
        (quoting SK)

        >Man naturally loves finitude ... finitude quiets him down in a life
        given over to enjoyment.>

        If this idea could be proven, as well as Freud's idea of the "death
        instinct" - violence, suicides, etc., you might have something. I
        realize you didn't suggest proof was necessary; or that these ideas
        should even be linked, but I'm expressing an opinion that if Freud's
        could be proven via modern science, that would also prove SK's. I do
        agree that ideals are agony. An interesting post, unless I entirely
        missed some irony. I can tolerate abitrary examples of SK, since he
        obviously began in earnest the philosophy of scepticism about gawd,
        but the whole theist/atheist debate doesn't really seem relevant to
        me. If these, their assertions were proven, would they validate
        nihilism or anarchy? My inquiry to any diety would be, why do turtles
        and trees have such differing finitude(s) than humans? Perhaps human
        awareness isn't such a wonderful evolution? Maybe annihilation is a
        response to such a "gift." Mary