Re: [existlist] the brave

  • Exist List Moderator
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 27, 2006
      On Jan 25, 2006, at 21:59, Gary Geiser wrote:

      > You shouldn't begin from abstractions. Just look at the farmer who
      > owns his own land. Pre-metaphysical, realistic, crude, barbarically
      > anti-social, individualistic, anti-intellectual.

      You just subscribed my father's family for at least 150 years or so,
      until the Dust Bowl sent them packing to California. Now, only a
      handful of the members still farm... but all of them are crude,
      anti-social, and individualistic.

      The flip-side is that the family is a social community. Reunions number
      in the hundreds, up through my generation, and they learned to not rely
      on any other support. You have to admire that, in some way. Yes, the
      children were "limited" to remaining in the state, but they always knew
      a helping hand was within minutes.

      Oh, well. Now I plan to leave California and toss the family unity
      thing out the window. Definitely more like my mother's family. I think
      my mother's family is weakly organized because they were forced to
      migrate under the worst of circumstances. Any roots in Europe were
      lost, and no roots were formed here.

      Sure, it's great to be "individual" all the time, but when you do need
      help it seems somehow better when it comes from family than some
      greater social organization that has to take from others to give away
      goods and services.

      - C. S. Wyatt
      that I shall be.
    • Robert Keyes
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 8, 2006
        The whole argument of what Some small European country does is funny.
        Get real. Do you know anything about Macro Economics. Do you know what China
        and India are. Do you think you are in an isolated system ? If not ( I hope
        you think this) then you are affect by my obvious unstated points. (if I
        have to explain why Indians and Chinese are smart and very numerous I will)
        Bob. (Humor always)