Re: Distorted perspective, call 9-11

  • nothing@theabsurd.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
      <<However, Hitler was inclined to action, and the result is
      history.>>

      I am very unclear as to your point. You suggest action as the right
      means for retaliation, and that it is a good, and then you bring up
      the example of a man (if we are to believe history) who in taking
      action led not only himself but his entire country to demise, ruin
      and loss.

      Is action a short term or long term plan, and what did you mean
      by the example?

      out-of-foci
      --------------
    • Eduard Alf
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
        Ryan,

        I would not disagree with what you are saying. Look at what happened in the
        1950s when the Committee for Un-American Activities got started as a means
        of countering soviet spies. A lot of people lost their livelihoods until
        McCarthy took on the defense department with his accusation of 57 varieties
        of communists supposedly buried therein.

        you are making an unwarranted extrapolation from what I said. My point was
        simply that some action is needed rather sitting around and doing nothing or
        just trading clever remarks. Of course there is a danger in the loss of
        civil liberties [albeit a universal ban on weapons would not be a bad idea],
        as experience has shown. It is a matter of doing this in an intelligent
        manner. I am not suggesting that we allow our freedom to disappear for
        reason of having a better means of protecting those freedoms.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 3, 2001
          uninstall