Genius

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2006
      ~ Shakespeare's greatness has been recognised by the Germans more
      than by any other nation, nay, perhaps even more than by his own
      countrymen. Of the justice, the credit, and the indulgence which we
      deny to each other among ourselves, he has received an ample
      tribute. Men of great attainments have occupied themselves with
      explaining his intellectual greatness to us in the clearest possible
      manner; and whatever has been said to his honour and in his favour,
      nay, even the excuses which have been offered for him, have at all
      times met with my hearty concurrence. .........
      I will here merely explain somewhat more fully the manner in which I
      first became acquainted with Shakespeare. It was brought about in
      Leipzig, when I was still rather young, through Dodd's *Beauties of
      Shakespeare*. Whatever may be urged against collected extracts of
      this kind, by which authors are presented to us in fragments, they
      nevertheless often produce a beneficial effect. We do not always
      possess the necessary intellectual capacity to enable us to take in
      an entire work and to appreciate it at its proper value. Are we not
      in the habit of committing to memory those passages in a book which
      have a direct bearing upon ourselves? Young persons especially, who
      are deficient in real culture, are readily stirred by brilliant
      passages. As for myself, I still look back upon that epoch which was
      signalised by my first acquaintance with the above-mentioned book as
      one of the finest in my life. ~

      Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 'Stray Thoughts on Shakespeare',
      "Criticisms, Reflections, and Maxims of Goethe",
      Translated by W.B.Ronnfeldt. London:Walter Scott, Ltd.

      Saying little is in certain contexts constructive.
      One substitute is to quote other men.
      I hardly know what I am saying. There is presence, that I trust.
      Enunciation arrives eventually. Story of faith.
      Louise