Re: [existlist] Landor

  • Eliza Rodriguez
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
      I don't know if I have shared this finding. it is impressive.

      http://www.hafizonlove.com/

      Eliza

      louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote: These are the poet's own notes concerning the adaptation he has made
      from a French version circulating at the end of the eighteenth century.

      TO ILBRA

      When we consider with what capriciousness the French have treated
      greek and latin names, we must not be surprized at any thing they do
      in an enemy's country, as it were, and with languages so distantly
      related to their own. A gentleman who has made some progress in the
      oriental languages, informed me that, in his opinion, there was no
      such name as Ilbra. He mentioned two* words, from one* of which it
      probably was derived. The former alluded to the Spring*, the latter
      to the Sea*. [sorry, i cannot reproduce the Arabic script depicting
      these two words, provided by the editor] The fondness of her parents,
      or of her lover, might conform her name, and compare her beauty, to
      the spring; or somewhere near the sea* might be the habitation of her
      tribe. However, if the French translator had chosen to substitute
      Iris*, the common though antiquated favorite of his countrymen, I
      should certainly have written Iris* too, with the addition of a note
      like the present, to absolve me from inconsistency.

      "striken with blue eyes." On the contrary we are informed that the
      Persians are fondest of black*; and poets, who love by prescription,
      celebrate no other. Had I ever been inclined to transgress the law
      which I rigorously laid down from the beginning, I might easily have
      contrived that blue* and black* should change places.
      This is the only *amatory appeal* in our collection: it resembles none
      that I have ever read. ...............

      The poems offered by Landor in this section are:

      [from the Persian]
      Address to the Vine
      To Ilbra
      To the Nightingale
      Praises of Abu-Said

      [from the Arabic]
      The Son of Sheik Daher
      Against Jezzar
      On the Affliction of his Wife
      On the Death of his Wife
      Addressed to Rahdi

      There are also a more numerous selection of translations and
      imitations from Greek, Latin, Italian, and two Chinese poems.
      As well as this paraphrase from Byron ...

      We sat down and wept by the waters
      Of Camus, and thought of the day,
      When damsels would show their red garters
      In their hurry to scamper away.

      It appears in the 'Imaginary Conversation' between Southey and Porson.

      Well, I don't want to put any bookdealers out of business, so that's
      my lot, for the present, at any rate.

      louise