Re: Said encounters Sartre

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 2, 2006
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mer_e_jo" <mer_e_jo@y...> wrote:

      > Who said?
      >
      > http://www.lrb.co.uk/v22/n11/said01_.html

      an excellent article, Mary, just when i needed some cheer. that is,
      not much good news concerning fifty years of anguish in that part of
      the world [where God first created His garden], but what a wonderful
      insight into the French literary scene. the depiction of Sartre is
      realistic and tender. then i consulted Wikipedia. so Mr. Said was
      raised in a Christian Arab family, and has written about Islam,
      among his many scholarly works.

      anyway, i keep coming back to the repeated question, what is
      existentialism, especially since we have newbies arriving asking
      just that. onward and onward.

      Louise
    • mer_e_jo
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
        Louise,

        I thought it was an interesting article, two things in particular.
        The French Existentialists were elderly. Sartre was near death.
        Beauvoir had retained her version of ex. and fully absorbed by her
        second sex theory. It might not have been realistic for Said to
        expect much from them. Their batons were not being picked up and
        passed on; they were left on the ground; pretty much where they
        remain today.

        As for Sartre's pro Israel stance, he was under the "spell" of his
        young Jewish and Marxist friend, much to the chagrin of Simone. I
        suspect that had he lived longer with his mind intact, he might have
        devoted more attention to the Palestinian cause with all the energy
        and attention he gave to other causes.

        I would have expected them to consider all sides and suggest a
        compromise which is what they did immediately following WWII. The
        practice of personal existentialism, whatever that means, seems to
        have usurped the political practice in our new century. There is a
        small window of opportunity to extinguish the perpetual flashpoint in
        those ancient lands. If the voices of moderation and compromise don't
        succeed, I fear our world is headed to a place where . . . well,
        let's just say, I don't know if I really want to be around to see how
        bad things will be. There really are times when I doubt the wisdom of
        bringing children in this world.

        > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "mer_e_jo" <mer_e_jo@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Who said?
        > >
        > > http://www.lrb.co.uk/v22/n11/said01_.html
        > >

        > an excellent article, Mary, just when i needed some cheer. that
        is,
        > not much good news concerning fifty years of anguish in that part
        of
        > the world [where God first created His garden], but what a
        wonderful
        > insight into the French literary scene. the depiction of Sartre is
        > realistic and tender. then i consulted Wikipedia. so Mr. Said was
        > raised in a Christian Arab family, and has written about Islam,
        > among his many scholarly works.
        >
        > anyway, i keep coming back to the repeated question, what is
        > existentialism, especially since we have newbies arriving asking
        > just that. onward and onward.
        >
        > Louise

      • peno hardesty
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 3, 2006
          so, if it would be unwise to bring children into the
          world, have we then reached a thought, a theory,
          indeed a conclusion, that we are as good as it gets ?
          some think of "end times" as punishment and pain,
          others see "purification" and re-birth. Hopi speak and
          the wind listens, preachers speak and the world
          shivers-----why does discourse about ancient times and
          ancient stories, ancient peoples and future
          devastation always revolve around certain geographical
          places? time began-----it is not geographical---time
          is---simple----open conscience and awareness to see
          all-----p

          Just $16.99/mo. or less.
          dsl.yahoo.com
        • Exist List Moderator
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 4, 2006
            On Jan 03, 2006, at 11:43, peno hardesty wrote:

            > so, if it would be unwise to bring children into the
            > world, have we then reached a thought, a theory,
            > indeed a conclusion, that we are as good as it gets ?

            Personally, I think "we" as people are as good as it gets, but life /
            living conditions will continue to improve for people over the next
            century. There are two different issues, in my view.

            Is human nature likely to change? I do not think so. I think we will
            continue to have dominant personalities, sociopaths, bullies, and
            criminals of various sorts. There will be tyrants and wars. If
            anything, we will probably see at least one more use of nuclear weapons
            in the next century and a biological attack.

            Despite this, life will improve for most people. It's not a steady
            improvement, but rather a series of peaks and valleys. No one during
            WWI or WWII would have imagined the relative calm of modern Europe. I
            have to believe Russia's current backslide will reverse, for any number
            of self-serving reasons. The same is true of China. Self-serving
            decisions made to "save" the Chinese leadership might eventually
            improve life for everyone in China -- but not tomorrow or even this
            decade.

            So, while we are as good as humanity is likely to get over the next few
            hundred years, meaning our personal flaws will remain in the species,
            the world will continue to improve despite occasional disasters. The
            disasters will seem terrible -- like the end of the world -- but we
            will probably rebound.

            On the flip side, I do wonder if the world of man is the best place for
            yet one more life. It is a decision we are compelled to make
            biologically, I think, but not at all logical. Trust me, I love
            children and yet know many are destined to suffer. Such is life.

            - C. S. Wyatt
            that I shall be.